A1418 / EMC 2833 / Late 2015 / 3.1 GHz Core i5 or 3.3GHz Core i7 Processor. Released October 13, 2015.

Cable from power button broke during hard drive replacement.

Dear ifixit,

I was in the process of upgrading my (iMac 21.5" 4k) and whilst I was removing the speaker (for easier access to SATA cable) the cord joining from the power button to the logic board (which travels along the left speaker) broke. I was not applying much force and am very surprised that it broke. This means I am now unable to power up my iMac. Is there anything I can do to replace this part or somehow rejoin the wire? Any information would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! (Even if it is "there is nothing you can do")

Thanks very much!

Joe

Can you get to the ends of the broken wires? Where did it break?

I have a button and cable from an older model but do not know if it will work on your machine. Maybe post a photo?

Thanks very much for your help! Unfortunately after speaking with several repairers my only option is to replace the whole aluminium shell as the power button is built into it and cannot be changed. Certainly not ideal and will come at some expense but don't have much choice..! Quite devastating.

Ouch!

The power button cable will be very difficult to find as a spare. I've never seen it on the older systems as a repair part in Apple's service manuals.

I think you'll need to try to splice the cable together somehow or carefully put the system together and bring it into an Apple Store and let them fix it. I suspect they may have a way to get the part or they'll replace the entire rear shell.

Thanks for the help with this!! You are correct and unfortunately the whole rear shell has to be replaced. I spoke with several repairers and because the button cannot be removed from the shell in this model that is the only (and rather costly..) option. Thanks again for the swift response!

It is absurd to apple not to have this as a spare!

It does not make sense to have to change the entire housing of the computer, because of a defect in the Power Button ...

I agree!!! Very frustrating design feature

Josef Bisits will be eternally grateful.