after a loud bang, screen stopped working

While we were watching LG MT-42PX11H Plasma TV, there was a loud bang (similar to a firecracker) and the monitor / screen stopped working. The sound was still coming through fine though. We think a fuse blew.

Does anyone know if this conclusion sounds right and, if so, how we can repair it?

Thanks from Cape Town, South Africa

It is more likely to be a capacitor or the Y sustain board as these tend to go in Plasma TVs. If a fuse blew in most cases the sound would not still be working.

Unplug the power from the TV, wait a few minutes for the TV to 'discharge' and then remove the back cover and inspect the boards for any obvious signs of damage. The Y sustain board generally is on the left of the screen when looking at it from the back.

Take some close up pictures of anything that you suspect looks 'damaged' (or even not) and post them back here. Somebody no doubt will try to help.

Adding images to an existing question

Hi there,

Thanks so much. You're awesome for responding and so doing it so quickly. I honestly appreciate it.

I have downloaded the service manual in the interim. I shall remove the cover and post the pictures.

I had this happen to me on a cheaper computer monitor.

when you get the board visible look for a blown capacitor. these are the vertical cylinders on the board that are around the same diameter as a dime but could be smaller or larger the tops of them should all be flat. if a capacitor is blown it will have a domed shaped top.

Might have to check with your local electronics store but most likely just need that capacitor replaced once I was successful replacing the one on my monitors video board it has worked great for the past 2 years with no issues!

Tina will be eternally grateful.