Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Home button not working but Touch ID does

I've got a weird issue after a screen replacement: my home button doesn't work even if Touch ID does. I tried to install a replacement home button but the problem wasn't solved (and obviously the replacement button did not support Touch ID). What could be the problem? I thought about the flex cable that connects the button to the motherboard but if that was the problem even Touch ID should not work.

Thank you!

Walter

Logically, you would expect the Home button action to work if the Touch ID works. The usual question is normally the opposite situation.

In your case, there could still be damage on the extension flex that runs beneath the backlight shield. Just think of it as a highway with multiple lanes. If the Home button lanes are damaged but the others are not, then you would see similar symptoms. You should inspect it closely and test continuity on each pin to be certain.

The other possibility is in how you are re-assembling the home button, specifically the backplate (iPhone 6 Plus Home Button Assembly Replacement). this is what the "button" presses against. If it isn;t making solid contact, the the button press will not be noticed.

Well, I guess the problem was indeed the flex cable. Thank you for your answer and detailed explanation!

Walter Simoncini will be eternally grateful.