Why is my rpms running high when I start to accelerate slow?

My 2005 Nissan Sentra runs great except when I start to accelerate to get speed, my rpms rev up and you can hear it. I try to coast as much as possible. I only drive no more then 5 miles a day no faster then 40 mph.

I have a 2015 chevy impala ltz that all of a sudden the engine revs too high when I take off or when the trans shifts. sometimes it revs as high as 5000 rpm

I can't be very specific but in general, this symptom usually points to a problem with the transmission, or if you have a straight shift, it probably means the clutch is slipping. On automatic transmissions, the shifting is often done by hydraulic pressure based on engine speed. If the system fails, it may require high engine speed to shift to the next gear or it may not shift to the next gear at all.

Most Helpful Answer

@dwdrummerswife , Christi, You should stop driving the vehicle if transmission is indeed slipping, as you are going to cause extensive damage and expense. Check the transmission fluid level and fill to recommended level if low. If fluid level OK, take vehicle into a good shop, have Tech. take a look, diagnose and estimate repair. Link below will show how to check transmission fluid level in automatic. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button. https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2002_...

Mine too is doing the same thing, but it's a 2005 Renault Clio 1.2 litre with a standard gearbox

My car is doing the same Just got a transmission put in 2 days ago I drive freeway everyday If I go past 50 mph the rpm is over 4,000 you can hear the motor revn up loud Does this mean the computer just doesn't recognize there's a new transmission yet

I've replaced the coil packs on my plugs and it fixed the problem. No longer does it and sounds allot better. Try that before taking it to a shop first.

Christi will be eternally grateful.