Why is my rpms running high when I start to accelerate slow?

My 2005 Nissan Sentra runs great except when I start to accelerate to get speed, my rpms rev up and you can hear it. I try to coast as much as possible. I only drive no more then 5 miles a day no faster then 40 mph.

I can't be very specific but in general, this symptom usually points to a problem with the transmission, or if you have a straight shift, it probably means the clutch is slipping. On automatic transmissions, the shifting is often done by hydraulic pressure based on engine speed. If the system fails, it may require high engine speed to shift to the next gear or it may not shift to the next gear at all.

Most Helpful Answer

@dwdrummerswife , Christi, You should stop driving the vehicle if transmission is indeed slipping, as you are going to cause extensive damage and expense. Check the transmission fluid level and fill to recommended level if low. If fluid level OK, take vehicle into a good shop, have Tech. take a look, diagnose and estimate repair. Link below will show how to check transmission fluid level in automatic. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button. https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2002_...

Christi will be eternally grateful.