Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Why do the instructions say not to clean the board connectors with IPA

The instructions frequently say to clean certain connectors with isopropyl alcohol, but to avoid doing so on the board connectors. My replacement screen keeps dying and I've twice now opened it up and re-seated the connector which helps for a little while and then it dies again. I'd like to try one more thing before giving up and clean the connectors in case some buildup is preventing the connector from seating properly or gradually vibrating loose. However the instructions say to avoid to. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Where does it say not to clean connectors in IPA? (just curious)

I don't see an issue in doing so, at least if you are using high purity IPA (>90%, 99% is even better).

You may have a defective or dying screen or "tired" connectors. Those FPC connectors are very delicate and are not rated for multiple insertions.

Thanks for the reply! See step 19 here:

iPhone 4S Display Assembly Replacement

I will give it a try, not sure I can do much about tired connectors, unless you can spread them out with the tip of an x-acto knife? Any thoughts on how to do that?

forget what that guide says

Flood it with 99% IPA. Use as much as you want, it will not hurt anything.

skyclmbr8 will be eternally grateful.