The iMac is Apple's line of all-in-one desktop computers.

Which models can have the hard drive "easily" upgraded?

I currently have a 2009 iMac with a third-party 3TB HDD that I've replaced twice (first one apparently was a lemon - still going strong on this one). It's now at end of life on software, and I'm ready for a faster computer... But I don't have $$ for a brand new one.

I'm thinking of finding a good condition iMac with a smaller drive and upgrading it (would prefer one which I can put 16+GB RAM also). I've heard that the later models aren't so easy to work with, but I'm not sure if that's right.

I don't have soldering capability, etc - just the basic tools -- as I said, I've done it twice on my current iMac.

Which models (2011 and newer, probably) are doable for replacing/upgrading the HDD??

Any 24" iMac. Pre 2012 21.5" These have removable glass without having to cut into the adhesive.

When did the RAM become so much more difficult to upgrade? Same model change??

The 21.5" 2012 model is when it became harder. Unlike the 27" 2012 model which had a access door you could access the RAM, you had to completely remove the logic board on the 21.5" model.

If you can do it I would go for either the 21.5" or 27" 2011 models which are the last thick walled models. Both are much easier to open to replace the HD or even add a second drive (2.5" HD or SSD) and can go up to 16 GB.

The newer 'Thin Series' are a pain to open! 2012 and newer are no very serviceable.

Thanks Dan! That finishes answering my question!

I've opted to buy a second-hand late 2011 which someone else has upgraded the HD already to 3TB. And I've ordered the RAM to max it out. It should last me a couple of years and maybe I'll save up to get a newer one by then.

I also found the KB on Apple about the memory and found out about the 27" difference... (access door) but I don't need the large screen at present.

Sorry for all of the clutter that got spun onto you. We had a wild one go to town on us here.

momefarley will be eternally grateful.