The April 2014 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features refreshed dual-core i5 and i7 processors, plus slightly increased battery performance.

Mac not turning on... (Again!)

An Usual, day before yesterday morning, while I opened my 2.5 year old MBA 13' A1466 (Early-2014) (Opened in the sense, I opened the lid. I usually don't shut it down, ). It wasn't turning on.

In those 2.5 years, I never had a single problem, be it battery life or performance.

My Mac's condition:

• 98 cycles completed. Battery health 98-100% (istat menus' reading)
  • It's always kept on charge and at 100 %. (This is how its been from past 2 years, except for once a month , intended battery drain to below 50%)
  • Neither has the mac ever been dropped nor has water spilled on or in it. It has been handled with utmost care, and also, it hasn't traveled much.
  • It's up to date (macOS 12.2.2)

So, day before yesterday I kept trying by pressing the power button again and again, tried doing SMC reset, then after a while like an half-hour so, It started. I used it the whole day, no problems at all and before I went to bed I just closed the lid (as usual).

Next day when I opened (Like after, 8 hours or so) It didn't turn on. I tried everything present on this and other forums, apple communities etc.., no matter how ridiculous they were (banging, shaking), it all went in vain.

Problem:

• Mac isn't turning on. Appears to be "dead".
  • Neither does the fan start and nor does it make any noise when I press the power button. (I in fact, used a stethoscope to check, if it makes any teeny-tiny squeaky noise and NO, it doesn't).

Here are the things I tried:

• Did SMC reset.
  • Even discharged it a bit by charging mobile device through Mac's usb port. and did SMC reset again.
  • Sightly banged its four corners
  • Shake mac, like I mean it

Finally, in the evening decided to open it up and disconnect the battery. The moment I started to unscrew it, I removed one screw, and just thought of checking once more, before I unscrew all. I pressed power button and BAM! it turned on. I instantly did SMC and PRAM reset, ran the diagnostic tool (no problems were found).

There were slight hiccups though, while doing resets, at time it was not turning on after reset, but may be after 5-10 min or so it turned on.

I then restarted and shut down mac several times, and it went all smooth. There was an OS update to 12.2.2 and I updated.

Same thing I did yesterday night, closed the lid and today morning when I opened it, It isn't turning on.

Do you think there may be any sort of hardware issue?

Please tell me is there anything else I should try. I'm not in a state to goto apple store, as the nearest one is 160 miles away and I have exams to study for and all my notes are in it.

Please Help!!

P.S : Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to make everything clear.

Can you feel if it's overheating with your hand?

No, It's not. Its charging fine and there's no over heat.

If you plug it in, what color is the magsafe light?

Well, last night it turned on for a few hours, and at that time charge was 1%, but the magsafe was showing amber. But then after I charged it to 100% it turned green

@iamansar - Mohammed - It looks like the anti-spammer bot the better of you ;-{

Hopefully things will be fixed soon. Hang in there!

Open, remove and clean the logic board for liquid damage. Likely there will be corrosion on the bottom of the board.

Intermittent issues (as you described in the comments of @pccheese answer, is usually caused by liquid. This has probably affected some of the soldered components as well.

Check the I/O cable and trackpad cable (both ends) for liquid too, for good measure :)

And hey, it has turned on after quite a few hiccups. And its been since then, like 5+ hours. It behaves like as if, nothing has ever happened.

This is whats been happening from past 3 days, I'm going through agony the whole day and late in the evening it starts. I even shut it down and also restarted it quite a few times and it was fine, just like before, but i gotta feeling tomorrow morning I'm gonna go through the same agony.

and No, I haven't spilled any liquid on it, not even on top or bottom outer surface of Mac.

Also , When it booted up, it woke up like it was in sleep, all opened apps and files intact.

I too thought of cleaning the logic board, I saw some tutorial on it, and that made me scared. What if mess up something more? I have already messed up the bottom outer lid pretty badly, while opening it, had to drill out two screws.

Try disconnecting the keyboard from the trackpad, and plugging the charger in (this will turn the Macbook on, if you disconnect and reconnect the battery beforehand). Could be shorting PP3V42_G3H to ground intermittently. Leave it running with the keyboard disconnecting overnight or something, to see if it is fine. What light is the charger when it goes dead?

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but I get a lot of my customers claiming it has never been liquid damaged, but I see corrosion on it. Check the whole logic board for any liquid damage (will be blue/green corrosion).

If you live in a humid environment you can get condensation Vs a true drink spill. A wet case from rain or snow can also be the source.

Disconnecting the keyboard cable directly from the trackpad is a hassle to do for testing purposes.

It's probably better to just unplug the trackpad connector as that as the keyboard cable is plugged into the trackpad connector board.

Otherwise if you really want to unplug the keyboard cable the screwed in battery has to be removed to get to it.

When it works fine all the keys to work fine right?

Hmm could it be corrupted OS in a way? Anyway try holding alt when you turn on the MacBook it should display a boot menu (The one usually with a hard drive icon and a internet recovery icon, the recovery icon sometimes does not pop up or takes time to pop up but anyway one of those icons should appear). Leave it on that screen and see if it shuts off by itself.

If it doesn't then we can rule out the OS or the Solid State Drive which has the Mac OS X operating system on it being at fault.

Mohammed Ansar will be eternally grateful.