Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 No Vibration after water damaged

Dear Everyone,

My phone (iPhone7) got water damaged.

Everything working wells except the vibration, I guess is the Taptic Engine thing.

Im find a weird situation where, under the settings (Sound & Haptics) if I turn on "Vibrate on Ring" and select the ringtones, all the ringtones having the same Ringtones Sound which is (Opening (default) ) sound.

If I turn of the "Vibration on Ring", I'm able to play ringtones when I choose other selection example (Apex, Beacon and etc..)

My question is if I replace Taptic Engine does it resolved my issue?

Thank you.

I believe that the taptic engine fix is a good idea. Happy fixing!

Ifixit has a guide here to fix the feedback motor. Try switching the switch on the side. If you can feel vibrations after that, there is no need to replace the taptic motor. Otherwise, I recommend replacing the taptic engine. You do know that the iphone 7 is waterproof, rite? How did it get water damaged?

Switching side no vibration. I'm not sure why does it get water damaged, I'm just wash it will low pressure for few seconds. Brought to apple service center and they claim that it is water damaged and warranty does not covered

Well, did you take it underwater for more than thirty minutes and farther than 3 feet below the surface? If so those guys at the apple store are correct. If you did not do that, than your under warranty. Go to the apple support website and tell them about your problem, but don't tell them what the guys said about water damage.

Soaked my iphone 7 plus under the faucet for about a minute or 2. Vibration and haptic feedback stopped working after that. Ive read somewhere of the same case wherein the vibration/haptic worked again after 12 hours. In my case i just waited for around 5 hours before it came back. Hope it works for you.

Funny, i went to the beach yesterday and dropped it. I thought well it has some water resistance so when i got home i dunked trying to get the sand out of the power connector and speakers. Thought i was good till the taptic feedback stop working. Turned it off went to bed. This morning didn't work, freaked out and started look on ifixit. Read your comment and was oh i'll just wait a bit. Checked my phone right now and it works again like normal. lol Thanks

I also had the same issue. I washed my iphone 7 under water and after about half an hour the haptic engine stopped working. Now it works again. I remember i tried keeping the back of my phone close to my ear and i heard slight sparks. I left my phone shut down for approximately 5 hours. Then it worked for a while and stopped working again. After that i left it turned off overnight and then it started working and still is. I guess the trick is to make sure the water evaporates before it gets to do any permanent water damage.

I hope this helps.

I solved this with a hard reset, on/off button simultanious with the volume down button, wait untill it reboots. The phone is water proof BUT when it is exposed to water you have to wait 5 hours to charge it.

Hard reset worked for me. Hold the down volumn and power button.

I have the same problem the home button in my iphone 7 is not working and one of 2 speakers not working because I washed my phone and tried it for a quarter of an hour and I was playing music and then I dried my phone out of the water and then put it on the charger for 10 minutes and after 10 minutes I looked at my iphone written "The home button May Need Service" So Is the solution is turn off the phone for 12 hours or 5 hours ? please I'm in Saudi arabia we don't have Apple store help me :(

Anyone knows how to fix this without taking it to the Apple Store? I'm abroad right now and there isn't an Apple Store in this island!

I got mine replaced by Apple. You could bring it to Apple Store and let them diagnose. As i know for haptic engine issue, there is no part, it's one to one exchange.

Score -1

Here at ifixit we exercise the right for self repair.

You should go to Apple store and ask them to diagnose. Then they should replace it for a new one and you probably would have to pay a part. As far as i know there is no taptic engine part available to replace. I recently had the same problem in my country and I had to pay something like 380USD, but I got a new 7+ 128Gb.

PD: On the diagnose they told me the water pass trough the home button.

Score -1

You can buy the part on eBay for 20 bucks paying $380 isn't the answer

You have the same answer as the other guy.

jackchew21 will be eternally grateful.