Fluffy pet with a tail and fun to play fetch with :)

Dog sniffs me constantly

My dog sniffs me constantly for no reason. How do I fix it?

Pic of Gracie :)

Hi, Not trying to alarm you but is it always in the one area? Dogs have been known to 'sniff'out problems in humans.

@jayeff its not in one place, it's all over my body :)

@gigabit87898 thanks for the picture of Gracie! Much better than broken devices...:-)

Usually mine will sniff my wrists when I'm getting sick and even when my blood pressure is running high when I forgot to take my meds. Or if I have been out and around other dogs.

Also you may be hitting puberty about this age and your hormones are producing different odors that a dog may detect. How long have you had your dog? Have you started shaving yet and using an aftershave?

I've had my dog for about 7 1/2 years, my dog has been sniffing me like this forever.

@gigabit87898 , Depending on the some breeds of dogs and actually probably for most dogs, this is another form of their communication also. Some can actually sniff where you have been and with whom, and what they have missed.

When doing volunteer work at a kennel, to stop dogs from jumping up, sniffing, licking I would raise my bent knee up and guide them away, it seem to work and they learn't it was unacceptable behavior. Just adding to other good answers.

@lpfaff1 i can remember a few years ago my dog (Gracie) tried to eat a tree stump... Now she is missing one of her front teeth! Haha

@gigabit87898 , Funny you say that, my son has 2 boxers one 10 yrs and one 1yr old, after the older dog was about 4 Max started loosing his teeth, it's funny watching them wrestle/play it is almost like the younger dog Otis is laughing at Max, because all Max can do is Gum him, not too effective to keep Otis at bey. :-) . Have a good day all, have to go shovel about 6 inches of the white stuff.

@lpfaff1 haha, where do you live? We're getting 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow! :) maybe a 2-hr school delay!

Most Helpful Answer

Hi, Perhaps you are being too friendly with it. My experience as a long time dog owner is that they really like to know their position in the 'pack'. Obviously your dog does not regard you as the leader. If so it would wait until you signalled that it could approach you. This is not to say that you have to be cruel or unkind or anything like that. It is just that you reinforce your position as the leader of the 'pack' by training the dog as to what you expect from it and your dog then knows its place in the 'pack' hierarchy. It will be happier because it is not worrying about what it can or cannot do in relation to you. At the moment it is treating you as an equal, basically trying to engage you into playing with it etc.

Just some thoughts

To add to @jayeff answer

Since you disappear for long periods time (i.e. school) dogs will often sniff you when you come home wondering who you met up with (from a smell perspective).

You may also want to see what soap or other perfumed products you are using that might trigger the dogs sense of smell. Make sure you don't use different soap when away.

Gigabit878 will be eternally grateful.