My Jeep lives... no thanks to Chrysler engineers. I have had an issue with my Jeep randomly stalling for about 3 years. I researched the internet, Jeep clubs, and spoke with several mechanics. Needless to say everyone had a different solution. It ended up being the wire going from the Alternator to the battery and fuse box. Something none of the experts even considered.
Those of you who know about wiring... Chrysler engineers used 8-AWG wiring from the alternator and 6-AWG for the starter and the negative/ground. I discovered an issue with the wiring after I had played the role of a typical mechanic; testing and swapping out all of the usual culprits. I connected my 1/0-AWG jumper cables between my Jeep and my car. When connected, the Jeep ran OK, it stalled every know and then, but would start back up after a few seconds. If I disconnected the cables, the Jeep would die with in 5 minute... every time.
So... I tested the alternator. It was operating perfectly. So, why was my battery going dead? And, why was my Jeep dying? I removed the flexible plastic cover from the wires coming off the battery and the alternator to discover, (a) they were unusually small in diameter and (b) they had several burn marks along the wire run.
I have enough of a background with electronics to know that the skinny little wires were overheating and causing a drain on my electrical system. Think of running a compressor with a cheap extension cord... you get the picture.
I replaced all of the cables with 2-AWG, 300 amp, 680 strand welding cable. A little overkill, YES. It works beautifully. Love my Jeep. Total cost was $90 including tools.