2000-2005 Toyota RAV4

The second generation of the Recreational Active Vehicle with 4-Wheel Drive, commonly known as the RAV4.

Tire Pressure Light on even though tires don't need air

My tire pressure warning light has come on several times on my 2004 RAV4. I've had a mechanic reset it before and check tire pressure. Tires are fine, but the light ends up coming on again. Could this be an issue with the electrical wiring? I just care because I would like the warning light to actually provide a warning if the tires are low.

Thanks everyone. I'll try the reset procedure first and then check out the batteries.

by Jennifer

The pressure sensor on the rims is a little electronic box INSIDE of the rim (or sometimes on the valve) that senses the tire pressure, if you had your tires worked on, they could have knocked it and it's malfunctioning.

On Toyota applications, the reset procedure is fairly straightforward. Turn the key on (engine off), then press and hold the RESET button until the flashing TPMS warning light goes off. Or, if it is not flashing, hold the RESET button until the light flashes three times. Turn the key off. But the relearn procedure is not complete until the vehicle is driven at 19 mph or faster for at least an hour. During this time, the TPMS system may not be able to detect a low tire, so make sure all the tires have been inflated to the correct pressure before the vehicle leaves.

The sensor looks like this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1/595...

2004 Does NOT have wheel sensors. It is an indirect system on the 2004 RAV4. There was a warranty recall for a defective part on the 2004 RAV4 causing the TPMS light to stay on and not reset. The part is approximately $300

by Dewey

I have 2007 RAV4 and I was puzzled by the same issue- it turned out that the SPARE tire is also connected! So, when I filled up my spare, the light went away. Not sure where the spare tire is located on 2004 model, but i would definitely check that.

True!!!!!!!!!!!!...I was having this issue...checked my spare in a 07 Rav4 and it works...Thanks!!!

by Jose

Dude something told me, check the spair, going back to gas station

by asamluck

For those of you who are wondering where the reset button for the TPM system is on a 2013 RAV4, it took several days and finally a trip to the dealership who were at a loss also for about an hour since the manual was completely wrong. It is located inline with the center of the steering column under the dash in about 2 inches in a little pocket.

The sensors contain batteries that are good for 3-5 years, depending on the units used. This is a nearly universal design element - all makes and models.

Take it to a reputable tire shop to have the batteries replaced.

TPMS Batteries are normally designed to last for 7 to 10 years and not the entire life of the vehicle (13yrs) or 200,000 kilometers. However, vehicle manufactures only cover TPMS battery replacement within the warranty period of the vehicle, which is usually less than the vehicle's life. So, after several flat tire occurrences batteries eventually become exhausted and must be changed at the vehicle owner's cost. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressu...

by mayer

Temperature variations, humidity variations, water in the air fill line, shock, vibration, etc... all effect the life cycle of batteries. They may be designed to last 7 - 10 years, but real life often does not meet design standards. It's a 6 - 7 year old vehicle. It's well beyond the observed minimum, and within spitting distance of the designed minimum.

by knoxzoo

Did you try retraining the system?

Make sure all your tires are at the correct pressure.

Turn the ignition ON (do not start engine).

Put the handbrake ON.

Hold the RESET button until the light flashes 3 times.

The retrain procedure is not complete until the vehicle is driver over 19mph or faster for an hour. During this time, the TMPS system may not be able to detect a low tire, so make sure all tires are at the correct pressure before you start.

The 2004 Rav4 does not have TPMS transmitters in the valve stems (does not use batteries). On this vehicle, the TPMS uses the ABS sensors on each wheel hub to detect tire rotation. The PCM (powertain control module) keeps track of each wheel via the ABS sensors and when one wheel is rotating slower than the others it will light the tire pressure alert. Follow the retrain procedure above (make sure the tire pressure is correct before doing this) and you should be ok. g

by greg

Jennifer will be eternally grateful.