Released March 2016, the Rift CV1 is the first consumer-targeted virtual reality headset by Oculus.

Ribbon cable (headphones/rear tracking sensors) broken

Hey guys...

Some days ago, I bought one CV1 it from a friend. But unfortunately in the transport the ribbon cable in headband it broke. I tried repair this ribbon cable but I don't had success. I tried talk with the Oculus Support...I asked if they send me another headband for make my rift 100% again but apparently, they do not want help me. I know how disassembly/assembly my rift, this is no worry for me...but they said basically "Sorry to hear that Rift was damaged"...short answer: buy another one.

Anyone can help me about this problem? How can repair? Where find something that can use for fix?

I tried amend the ribbon cable using wires but when I test continuity with multimeter any pin doesn't work.

1- Before try fix, I tested continuity between this pins and the headphone pins, it's working.

2- I received the oculus in this situation. I needed cut the ribbon cable after this hole because was torn.

3- Conversation with the Oculus Support Team

3 - Soldered pins with wires in the both sides, at the moment, all that's fine. I tested again the continuity between the blue wire sides, it's working too...but if a test between the blue wire side and headphone contact...not working :( (maybe why I use this wire? need another wire type?)

4 - Another picture without zoom

Me too, did you ever manage to fix it?

No, I sold this and will buy another one :/

Most Helpful Answer

Hey, I have successfully repaired on so far. To be honest as shown here there is no need to follow the style of the existing cable, as long as it is flexible enough and long enough.

I used enamelled wire and a USB microscope to repair, best approach is to either use a micro pencil or heat gun to lay the hair thin cables.

I have also developed replacement side arms if anyone finds that they have broken, Very good for 3D printing, am "road" testing them right now to make sure they are up to the job but will basically replace the whole side arm attached to the metal side piece. This combined withe the micro soldering should deliver a fully working and colour customised oculus.

Watch this space.......

Any update on your repair solution for the headphone issue caused by the broken ribbon cable/wires that go from the side strap to the main Oculus headset?

This is becoming a bigger and bigger issue, seemingly at thhe 12-16 month mark.

Oculus won't help in any way - if you live in the US where they only offer a 12 month warranty, you need to buy a new one.

I believe in Europe they have 2 year warranty, which is how it should be!

I am very interested in seeing what it is you are working on

could you give more info pictures to how to solder ribon cable ? i have broken my rift and the ribon is 100% cuted ! m also interested for the 3D parts . if you have some links and stl to download if you want to share , you will be very welcome.

greetings

Hi Luiz.

My Oculus rift slowly developed an audio issue. I took it apart to find the ribbon cable was half torn (only audio in left ear)

How many cables were there in the ribbon cable to solder?

B

My attempt did not work ... I sold this Rift and bought another one, I believe it is the only solution :/

That's some fine soldering. Did you manage to reslove the problem?

That's some fine soldering on them delicate ribbons. Did you manage to resolve the problem?

Just read further. That's rubbish. They should provide the so as requested parts. What do you think stopped it from working. If you had continuity it should have worked.

the ribbon cable from my rift was cut in half. is there any other way to get the infared leds working on the back? maybe power them externally? i dont care about the audio. but do i really need the leds on the back when i have 4 camera's? i'm not experiencing any problems without the leds thus far maybe because i have 4 camera's.

If you have 3 sensors you'll not have any problem with full 360, the back leds are for 2 front sensors setups, if you have 3 or 4 you'll have full coverage anyways so...

Luiz Augusto Lago will be eternally grateful.