No signal after screen replacement.

Hi guys. I need help with an iPhone 6. Mind you this is not the first iPhone 6 LCD I replaced so I'm not exactly a beginner. I did everything by the book as I replaced the cracked screen and everything seemed okay after reassembly. But after about 30 minutes , an hour tops of testing the signal dropped and I can't seem to be able to get it back. I tried disassembling everything again and looked if everything is in order and seems that everything is properly connected back. The client tried to send it back to warranty without talking to me first and they repair centre said that it MIGHT be that the motherboard got damaged while replacing the LCD but I find it difficult to believe as I have replaced and least other 20 iPhone LCDs in the past without any issue. Now of course I have to take full responsibility and I am evaluating if I should change the whole motherboard or not. If anyone could point me in the right direction and help me avoid doing that I would greatly appreciate it.

UPDATE: No..the person asked if signal problem could be because he changed the screen. As for me...I really don't know...I used plastic tools...quality spare screen. I'm asking my self now if maybe I put the wrong screw but..small update...when I do a factory reset the signal comes back for about 5 minutes in which I'm able to make phone calls after which the signal is lost again. I'm lost...can't figure out what it is. Anyone knows where exactly I'm suppose to look for damage signs? The phone was working prior to the lcd replacement, that, unfortunately I know for a fact.

I would look for signs of water damage.

Ok guys so here's where I'm at. Dismantled everything and everything seems fine...no screws were wrongly fitted. So, after further testing I've noticed the following, immediately after boot up signal is working fine, 4G works , full signal. I can call , made a 40 minute phone call and everything was fine, if I continuously call different numbers the phone will work fine with no issues whatsoever but...if I leave it for 20-30 seconds ,basically the time for screen to shut down everything goes south, signal drops, no service displayed and that's it...after 2 hard resets I've got to the point where the signal goes away, no service , than after 20 seconds it comes back full signal bar but I can't make any calls, I get call failed if I try to call anyone, and obviously I can't call the iPhone sim it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running out of ideas, I'm thinking that maybe it's the baseband ic, but how could I have damaged it since it has the metal protection and changing the LCD you don't go anywhere near it?

It appears like you have done everything correctly.

Do you have the original cracked screen? I would try to put the old screen back and test it thoroughly. That way you can see if the problem is related to the replacement screen or the logic board.

The other thing I would check is the antenna flex.

iPhone 6 Logic Board Antenna Flex Cable

Take a look at this image and notice it has a small conductive pad.

iPhone 6 Front Panel Assembly Replacement

That is likely meant to ground the selfie camera bracket and, who knows, maybe even act as an antenna. Sometimes, that pad sticks to the bracket more than the flex so it might not have been transferred to the replacement screen. Also, that flex is connected via four connectors underneath the logic board. Maybe one of them came loose.

iPhone 6 Logic Board Antenna Flex Cable Image

Bravo my friend...I barely touched the cable flex antenna and I've lost signal completely. Seems I've narrowed it down. I'll try to play around with the antenna and see if I can get l it back to life if not replace it. Anyway, I'll keep you updated on how it goes. For now, thanks.

Forgot to get back to you. You were a life saver. I was in no "no service" zone thinking I had to replace the mobo but replacing the flex antenna did the trick and it only cost me 5 euros to replace it. Seems that is an actual gsm antenna. I cannot thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction after wasting 4 hours googling dousines of sites without so much of a hint. thank you again

Most Helpful Answer

Synchronize date and time automatically / connect to Wi-Fi?

Send it back to warranty meant he probably made an appointment with apple and they checked inside the phone.

Well that's bad luck to the customer because now he just permanently voided his warranty when he could've kept the warranty for the next time he really needed to send it back to warranty by having an original screen installed.

meh....the warranty was voided as soon as he cracked his old screen. Its a 6, so I really don't see how they would have known his screen had been replaced unless the OP did a sloppy repair job.

OP: There is nothing that you could have done to damage the cellular reception if everything went right. I'm assuming you disconnected the battery before removing the old screen, didn't use any metal tools and used only top quality parts. I'm also assuming you didn't do any damage by using the wrong screws. Also assuming that you didn't use unnecessary force when putting it back together.

What is possible is that when the customer dropped his phone, he did damage to the cellular system of his phone. Which again, would have voided his warranty.

Rosu Catalin will be eternally grateful.