Samsung Galaxy J7, also known as Samsung Galaxy J7 Duos with dual-SIM card slots. It was released 2015, June, with 5.5 inches plastic material body, and 720 x 1280 pixels display resolution. Android OS, v5.1. This phone has 13 MP Primary Camera and 5 MP Secondary Camera, and it has a removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery.

My Phone got wet, it turns on, then keeps shutting down. Help

I dropped my phone in water and I put it in rice for a couple days. It turns on but then shuts down after a few seconds

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components.

Rice is good to eat but does nothing to fix the problems caused by corrosion

Don't Put Your Device in Rice. Here's Why...

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.''

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70% and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount

Here is a link that in general, describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

You may have to replace the battery as it is very hard to recover a battery from water damage.

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit guide(s) for repairing your phone.

Samsung Galaxy J7 Repair

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional phone repair service and ask for a quote for a repair.

If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

@jayeff I like the link to "Don't put your phone in rice" , I'm gonna have to use that . Excellent answer BTW

Hi @jimfixer

Thanks. If you go to use the link if you do it like I do i.e. copy and paste the URL it doesn't work, it sends you to the incorrect page, it shows up as a red link. You need to put the URL in square brackets [... ] to make it work. Then it shows up as a blue link and it gets you there. I've informed the Ifixit crew a while ago guess they're still working on it

good to know

Firstly,

Stop turning it on. That is how the water will do the most damage. If you can remove the back and the battery and let it air and dry out.

How wet did it get?

Cameron Bernard will be eternally grateful.