A1708 / EMC 2978 — Released October 2016, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar). The function key version packs an Intel Core i5 and two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Keyboard and trackpad disabled at login, keeps searching for Bluetooth

I have a 13" MacBook Pro bought in mid-2016.

This morning, I launched my MacBook and the trackpad and keyboard were not responsive. After about 30 seconds, a little window popped up saying "Bluetooth keyboard setup. There isn't a keyboard connected." I have left this window for as long as 15 minutes but nothing changes.

I have tried restarting my MacBook but this keeps happening. It has happened at least ten times.

I have also tried doing this in safe mode but this does not seem to make a difference.

I don't know if it matters, but for the past six weeks or so, I have been charging my iPhone 6s Plus via one of the USB ports. The cord is a little frayed and the connection isn't always perfect. When my iPhone would connect, it used to switch to the "photos" app, but it's hasn't done this for about a week, although the phone is still charging.

I have no idea what to do; my MacBook has now been rendered completely useless by this glitch. The keyboard and trackpad are completely unrecognised by the computer itself.

Any and all help are much appreciated.

I noticed a lot people have viewed this the past 24 hours. I was able to solve this problem by restarting the computer and hitting the caps lock key while the mac loading bar was still going (before the Bluetooth thing pops up). If turns on, it should disable the pop up from coming on. Does anyone know if this is caused by a recent virus? Nervous since so many people have viewed this thread the past 24 hours.

Annie hi. Holding the caps lock fixed this for us and the computer is working again. Thanks for the tip. Andy.

Help it's happening to me also . Can it be the iPhone wire? I been stuck . Never used

neat solution if it worked, but it doesn't, in our case. nor does option-command-p-r have any effect. cursor disabled during bluetooth search for phantom keyboard, so impossible to Force Quit or get serial number, a prerequisite for Apple phone support.

Hi guys, I’ve had the above stated problem for several times in the past. However today I would like to say that I’ve solved the problem n provide a solution for you guys. Just go to your settings and go whichever that leads to the Bluetooth keyboard setup and disable it. Like never show up at startup or login anymore. As simple as that. Now I no longer encounter the problem anymore. Hope this helps.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

I have not seen this issue before and not seen a 2016 machine, Let's try resetting the PRAM first.

Here's how to reset your PRAM:

Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.

Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. ...

Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.

Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

That failing, try holding down the Option key on boot and go to the repair partition an run Disk Utilities.

Do you have an external Boot disk?

This happened to me also today 9/23/2017

Me too. The keyboard and trackpad work until I log in as my user. Then neither work.

I just had success with login using option key at boot but the Bluetooth set up window came up again! Now what??

This sounds like a virus infection. I would run a good "Pair For" antivirus on these machines.

I have a touch bar MacBook Pro. I have a problem that input from the mouse is not accepted on the login screen after a reboot. I don't yet have a wireless keyboard but it is on order. I am afraid the it too will not work on the login screen.

If your model is the 2015 model, EMC on the bottom will be 2835 (you have selected late 2016), try reconnecting the trackpad cable. I have seen the trackpad cable go bad on these models, and if it is not recognised, neither the trackpad or the keyboard will work.

If you reconnect it and it initially works, buy a replacement cable. It will go bad again, so just replace it with a new one.

In my case, the trackpad and keyboard work until I log in, and then both don't work at all.

hi, the same thing happning on my mac air, today.. did you resolve your issue?

Now working. As soon as I was in I turned Bluetooth off. When I opened again it was back to searching for Bluetooth. Uuggg

Is this an A1708 model as in the question with the 2 USB C ports? Or is it an A1502 EMC 2835 (check the bottom)?

Also to me this has been going on since a day or two. I now figure that, when I connect to the net when setting up, the search for a bluetooth keybord doesn't appear, but not yet sure if there is this correlation. Has anyone tried the solution as suggested by Mayer above?

I am having both the box popping up about the keyboard bluetooth...but my mouse is frozen too!

Yes, pressing the Caps key stopped the box from popping up...but how to get the mouse working again?

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro.

Hi: This is a question...I wish it were an answer!

I just got a new macbook pro 13" (2017) and I am also having this problem.

Tried PRAM but could not access the keyboard or the mouse. Also tried holding down the caps key. Tried all the solutions above,

I have an adapter for USB-USBC, so I plugged in an external Apple mouse, and now my cursor works but I still cannot access the keyboard, so I can cannot log in. I plugged in an external keyboard (not Apple), and that also did not work. So I'm stuck....any ideas?

My idea was to just buy a Bluetooth keyboard and connect it

I can imagine PERFECTLY HOW THIS PROBLEM FEELS LIKE. After having the same issue with my macbook 2011 bought in 2016 I gave it to app store and they changed the WHOLE keyboard system for free! Guess what? After 5 monthis this started happening again!!! I was able to solve this problem by turning the computer over and starting hitting some areas. I think its not the problem with the system but with the connection between parts of the computer itself. NVRAM is not possible to reset simply because keyboard doesn't respond. I can't explain with words what I have been through with this ***** problem...

Holding caps lock during startup just worked for me.

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro, I tried hitting or holding the caps key or holding command-option-p-r together but nothing worked. I’m in Cape Town and there is no Apple Store around, getting a bit desperate as work starts tomorrow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What about buying a Bluetooth keyboard and connecting it to the computer?

I don't know if it'll work.. but it's an idea?

For me the caps lock solution didn't work.

But I noticed that my MacBook freezes often when there is a wifi network around that I have connected to in the past.

So the solution for me is to go somewhere that there is no wifi network or nothing that I connected to before. And then when I'm able to login, if I want to shut down or sleep my MacBook, I disable wifi first..

It's very odd and annoying, but it works!

John Flemming will be eternally grateful.