A1708 / EMC 2978 — Released October 2016, this entry-level MacBook Pro retains its traditional function keys (as opposed to the OLED Touch Bar). The function key version packs an Intel Core i5 and two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Keyboard and trackpad disabled at login, keeps searching for Bluetooth

I have a 13" MacBook Pro bought in mid-2016.

This morning, I launched my MacBook and the trackpad and keyboard were not responsive. After about 30 seconds, a little window popped up saying "Bluetooth keyboard setup. There isn't a keyboard connected." I have left this window for as long as 15 minutes but nothing changes.

I have tried restarting my MacBook but this keeps happening. It has happened at least ten times.

I have also tried doing this in safe mode but this does not seem to make a difference.

I don't know if it matters, but for the past six weeks or so, I have been charging my iPhone 6s Plus via one of the USB ports. The cord is a little frayed and the connection isn't always perfect. When my iPhone would connect, it used to switch to the "photos" app, but it's hasn't done this for about a week, although the phone is still charging.

I have no idea what to do; my MacBook has now been rendered completely useless by this glitch. The keyboard and trackpad are completely unrecognised by the computer itself.

Any and all help are much appreciated.

I have not seen this issue before and not seen a 2016 machine, Let's try resetting the PRAM first.

Here's how to reset your PRAM:

Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.

Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. ...

Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.

Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

That failing, try holding down the Option key on boot and go to the repair partition an run Disk Utilities.

Do you have an external Boot disk?

If your model is the 2015 model, EMC on the bottom will be 2835 (you have selected late 2016), try reconnecting the trackpad cable. I have seen the trackpad cable go bad on these models, and if it is not recognised, neither the trackpad or the keyboard will work.

If you reconnect it and it initially works, buy a replacement cable. It will go bad again, so just replace it with a new one.

John Flemming will be eternally grateful.