The Apple iPhone 5s was announced on September 10, 2013. Repair of this device is similar to the previous models, and requires screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Silver, Gold, and Space Gray.

3010 Questions View all

No power water damaged iPhone 5s

Hi,

I got a water damaged iphone 5s. I removed the shields on the logic board and cleaned it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. I tried to power it on with a working LCD and battery but still no power. I am trying to learn micro soldering. So my question is which chip should be replaced? And how do I test which chip(s) are bad before replacing any. I have a multimeter.

Thanks

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment

2 Answers

Chosen Solution

junaid0073 replace your lightning port connector first. There is no particular IC or other component that you need to replace. You need to have a schematic and a board layout at minimum and then use the schematic to test the board. Check your power rails etc. Remember that water damage is the hardest to repair since virtually any part may have failed. Not an easy task....

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4
Add a comment

OldTurkey is correct; water damage repair is the toughest. You have to have the schematics and boardviews to be able to accomplish anything on an iDevice. However, I would like to point out a few things in your original post.

1) 90% isopropyl alcohol is better than rubbing alcohol but always keep in mind that the other 10% is...water. Make sure you dry the logic board properly before you power it up. If you are serious about microsoldering, then you need to use 99% isopropyl.

2)Look carefully at where the corrosion has occurred (before you clean it off). That will give you a clue on where you start your troubleshooting. Any shorted capacitor on a voltage rail will cause problems. There are literally dozens of them to check. But often time the damage is more insidious, lurking beneath micro-bga IC's.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2
Add a comment

Add your answer

junaid0073 will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 4

Past 30 Days: 7

All Time: 53