4-inch iPhone released in March 2016 with similar hardware specifications to the 6s. Available in Silver, Space Grey, Gold, or Rose Gold with 16/64 GB storage options. Model A1662 and A1723.

Water damage, is my iPhone beyond repair?

My iPhone SE was not completely submerged in water, it was face down in a puddle and now my phone is damaged. It still sort of works, I can still use it and it still connects to wifi with a slightly distorted screen. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognise the SIM card and the speakers don't work although the vibrate function still works. I want to get this repaired as soon as possible and plan to take it in to a professional repair place but I'm really worried that it's broken beyond all repair, especially after hearing that water damage is not covered in my phone's warranty and the reputation of iphones breaking.

Is my phone beyond repair or can it be saved?

Thanks in advance!

Jayeff has given you some great recommendations.

In relation to your specific question "Is my phone beyond repair or can it be saved?", the answer is yes, it can probably be repaired. The phone works as is for the most part. Water probably leaked in via the speaker mesh (hence no speaker functionality) and the SIM card tray.

The problem with water damage is its insidious nature. You can pay to swap out the screen, the speaker and maybe have the SIM card reader replaced. However, there is always the danger that more damage is occurring underneath the electronic chips on the board, most of them tucked away by shields.

Your phone needs to be professionally decontaminated to stop the (hidden) corrosion for progressing. Then you can look at how much it will cost to repair and determine if its worthwhile compared to an OOW replacement with Apple.

Once your device is wet or repaired by a third party, your warranty is already over so don't give that another thought. The iPhone 5S/SE is a great phone and well designed. It has very few known flaws (unlike the 6/6+) so its certainly worth the investment.

Most Helpful Answer

As you know water and electronics and electricity are not a good mix.

The water causes corrosion and provides circuit paths for the electricity which were not in the phone's operating design and could damage the components.

First do not turn on your phone and then you need to with the phone turned off, remove the battery as soon as possible from the phone to minimize further damage.''

Then you need to dis-assemble the rest of the phone and clean all the affected parts using Isopropyl Alcohol 90%+ to remove all traces of corrosion and water. Do not use "rubbing alcohol" as in some cases this is only 70% and is not as effective. If you do check the label to verify the amount

Here is a couple of link that describes the process.

Electronics Water Damage

Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

You may have to replace the battery as it is very hard to recover a battery from water damage.

As always with electronics, especially surface mounted PCBs be gentle when handling and especially when brushing away the corrosion. You do not want to remove any components from the board.

Hopefully after you have done all this the phone might possibly work correctly again.

Here is a link to the ifixit guide(s) for repairing your phone.

iPhone SE Repair

If this process seems too daunting, take your phone to a reputable, professional phone repair service and ask for a quote for a repair. If you decide to do this, do it sooner than later.

Disassemble then soak the logicboard in liquid solution like tinner or alcohol to extract the rust use old toothbursh let it air dry 24hrs then run in tester if there a shortage or not u knew the next move

harry will be eternally grateful.