Laptop won't turn on?

Just tried turning on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite c55-c5241) and it isn't working. There are no lights on to indicate it's powered on. The battery is in so I'm not sure what the issue is. Please help!

student question

Most Helpful Answer

Few things you can try first, make sure your outlet is working by plugging another device in.

Next, check your laptop power cord to make sure the two pieces are seriously plug in each other. Also if you got a spare power cord, this is the best option to find out if this is causing the issue.

If everything is fine, put your laptop to charge for 1 hour. It may not display any light as it is charging even if the light is broken but it should not stop your laptop from turning on after sufficient charge.

Now if you press the power button and still nothing, keep on pressing and holding to the power button until you get a reaction. If nothing happens, disconnect your power cord from your outlet or power supply, keep pressing on the starting button for at least 30 seconds to drain the power charge out, then removes the battery from the laptop, if no sign of unusual wear, put it back and try again. Let me know if you got result.

To start make sure the battery is completely secured just to be safe. The batteries on this laptop are tricky and sometimes require more then just "popping them in." Try following the battery replacement guide on the device home page to make sure it fits in properly.

Try plugging the laptop in to charge and leave it for a couple hours. After that try turning it on by holding the start button.

If that did not work then check the charger. If you have another charger try that as well, or if you have another device that the laptop charger fits into, try that as well.

If none of these solutions helped the battery may need to be replaced. Try the troubleshooting page to help narrow the problem down.

Troubleshooting page link: Satellite C55-C5241 Troubleshooting

I'd double check that charging cable. I had a C55 and mine went south relatively fast.....

If you can get your hands on a multimeter, give it a test. Or worst case buy a Asian knockoff for $10 and give it a go.... if it doesn't work, use eBay's "sell this item," and turn around and resell it as "like new." If you're patient, you might even make a couple bucks.

Good luck!

Olivia A will be eternally grateful.