Very hot area on screen after changing front camera

My iPhone 5s face sensor was not working so the screen would not lock during a call, and when I selected the camera the screen was black and then it automatically switched to the rear camera.

I have now changed the front camera and the sensor now works.

But when I select the front camera, the screen is black but it does not change to the rear camera.

Also now when I make a call, the area around the camera/ear piece gets very hot.

Can anyone help?

has the phone suffered any water damage?

To me, it sounds like the camera IC is damaged. Heat usually means a short, which means problems on the logic board. Shorts usually come from water damage when we are talking mobile devices.

There are a few ways to attack this but knowing if there is known water damage will help.

Josh W,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it was dropped in a swimming pool.

After this I changed the screen and have been using the phone for 5 months without the camera working (the LED flash/torch also doesn't work).

Now I have changed the screen again (cracked original replacement during removal to look at camera) and replaced the camera, now the short has started.