Why do I have wierd, red "topographic" lines on screen?

Both of my Samsung LCD TVs are having the same problem, which seems to be sporadic. There are red lines, looking like lines on a topographical map, throughout the screen. My phone does not have a great camera, but this is what the TV looks like:

I previously changed some blown capacitors on the power supply (this TV was one that was recalled, but it worked, and the person who gave it to me was throwing it out), so I am competent to work with PC boards and components.

This happens thru the cable box as well as DVD and streaming inputs.

Hi, I wondering if you are losing a 'colour'.

I don't know if this will work on your Tv but give it a try anyway

http://www.sony.com.au/productcontent/53...

I should add, (it was late last night when I wrote the comment above first) that TV colours (as well as monitors etc) comprise of 3 primary colours in combination. Red, Blue and Green. When all are ON you get White. Various strengths of the three give the different colours.

So when you use the test file check the 'colour' chart shown in the page example to see which colour is not represented well, i.e does the red look like red, does the green look like green, does the blue looklike blue. Do not worry about the other colours as they are just combinations of the three. If the White seems tinged with a colour you definitely know that one of the 3 is missing or incorrect value.

Thanks, JF, I'll try this tonight...and let you know.

Ben Schultz that looks like a solarized screen. It can be caused by a failing T--Con board. Check your menu and see if that displays properly. If it does, than you most likely have a bad mainboard. If both are solarized then you have it narrowed down to either a bad T-con board or a bad panel. The only way to determine which one it is would be by replacing the T-con board. If it fixes that then you know it was the T-con board, if not you know it is a bad panel. that will make it a very difficult repair since the panel will most likely cost more than a new TV. If it is even available. You do want to check that as well as your preciously repaired capacitors. Make sure that they are still in proper shape.

Thanks, Gobbler. as I was getting ready to punt yesterday, and after getting a used-but-working t-con board a couple of weeks ago that didn't help, and after going thru the settings menu with no results, I decided to get online again. The one thing I never did was clean the contacts, so I went to Radio Shack last night, sprayed all the connectors, moved them on and off a couple of times, and that solved everything. Then I put back my original t-con board, and everything was still perfect. So, now I have an extra t-con board to sell on Ebay, along with my washing machine parts...

Ben Schultz will be eternally grateful.