Model A1419 / EMC 2806 & EMC 2834/ Late 2014 or Early 2015 or late 2015 / 3.3 or 3.5 GHz Core i5 or 4.0 GHz Core i7 Processor / Retina 5K display

iMac Late 2015 - Upgrade SSD or use Apple Stock SSD

When buying the 1TB SSD with the iMac directly from Apple: Is it a PCI-Express SSD then?

Is the main HDD-Slot empty in this case (hence could I add another HDD later on?)

Doing the upgrade via Apple is like 400$ more expensive than upgrading yourself. Is the PCI Express SSD worth it? (If this is what apple uses)

Your system has two drive ports: a custom PCIe x4 for a blade SSD and a SATA III (6.0 Gb's) for a traditional 3.5" HD.

If you review the IFIXIT teardown here: iMac Intel 27" Retina 5K Display Teardown you can see whats what.

Yeah okay, I see. So if I buy the 1TB SSD, only the blade slot is used and the other one is blank?

Apple also sticks it to you on the RAM, so upgrade that yourself too.

Yes, the SATA port for the HD would be available for a future drive. It could even be a 2'5" SATA based SSD!

Do I need the thermal sensor ($37) for a Samsung SSD Sata that I'm gonna replace the HDD with on a late 2015 5k imac 27". I'm buying the bracket, adhesives with wheel cutter, do I need to buy OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for iMac 2011 Hard Drive Upgrade??? I read that with sierra and el cap I wouldn't need the sensor. I wonder though, if I had to boot into windows (i have yet to need to, but may have work that will benefit from it), if the fan would go full blast.

Nope, Apple didn't alter anything within the OS or firmware to forgo the sensor. I think you're getting caught up in an urban legend.

Yes, you still need the in-line sensor, here's the part you'll need: OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for Hard Drive Upgrade for 27" iMacs 2012 and Later

Max will be eternally grateful.