Left side usb port can only be used as charger port

My device has two usb ports on right side an one on left. The left side port has quit working. I do not understand this stuff.I tried the battery removal and hold power switch fix to no avail. The usb will work to charge my phone etc but nodata tranfer. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Thx Jerry

First, grab a magnifying glass and a strong light and visually inspect the faulty port. Make sure that all the pins, especially the middle ones are there and that they are all straight and parallel with each other. Also ensure that there is no dust or lint in the port. Do not probe with anything metal in the port you may short out the power to the port. If there is dust use a vacuum cleaner to try and get it out. If there seems to be a problem with the pins the port will have to be replaced.

If that proves OK, go to Control panel > Device Manager, scroll down to USB controllers, click to expand. Then right click on each USB host controller and select uninstall. (Be aware that if you have any USB devices connected to a port when you uninstall it they will no longer work, until the USB host controllers have been reinstalled - see next paragraph))

Restart your laptop and let Windows 'find' and reinstall the USB controllers and then see if it works.

If not there may be a hardware problem with either the port or the USB host controller.

a visual inspection of the board side of the usb port will probably find a broken solder joint . Its an easy fix with a hot air station 435degrees and it will reflow the solder at the joint . Fluxing the area prior to heat will ensure a clean re-flow . A small amount of pressure on the port will help it seat

Jerry Holton will be eternally grateful.