Model A1213 / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity

iPod Touch 1st Gen. won't restore

IPod Touch 1st Gen. won't restore.

While in recovery Mode, I get this message

The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1).

My iPod was working fine before.

This happen when I wanted to sync it to my music library and iTunes ask me to restore my iPod.

The iPod Touch 1st generation server has been shut down for awhile now, I am very sorry

Android Fix Kits

A new screen or battery is one kit away.

Android Fix Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/iostime...

and download iPod Touch 1G iPhone OS 3.1.2 (7D11).zip (249.8 MB)

shift and click restore. That'll do.

Hi.....Thomas. I downloaded the above .zip and it downloaded to my computer. As I click on it to open it, it automatically opens Itunes.........What should I do next? Thanks for your help.

Bless your soul thomas . thank you!

Alonzo.......Were you able to do it? Can you share the details? Thanks

Thanks a lot Thomas....it worked

@Thomas Campbell

I Love You Sir

Thanks A Lot

It Worked For Me

This is probably because the 1st Gen can not be upgraded to ios 10... They only way to restore it is to find some way to download the maximum version of iTunes that the first gen can accept, then it will restore. The maximum ios the 1st gen ipod can receive is OS 3.1.3.. I have no idea where or how you could safely download that version to your computer so just be careful and do some more research. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks for the info. I downloaded iOS 3.1.3 and tried to restore, with itune, while holding key "alt/option to select the 3.1.3 firmware and itune gave me the message that "the iPod could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible". The file name is iPod3,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

could you share the IPSW via Dropbox if you still have it? :)

Thanks, that was very helpful after spending hours with bad advice, lots of companies trying to get money out of me (hidden behind a bunch of "free" aps). This unlocked and removed the passcode and updated the iPod max in one step!

Unfortunately that firmware isn't the right one. I haven't found the correct one, but you need to find something like: iPod1,1

I'm in the same boat as you, and I read in another forum that downgrading to an older version of iTunes might help. I'm not sure yet, but as soon as I know one way or the other, I'll definitely give you an update!

Sooo I tried iTunes 11.01 and had a huge breakthrough with it. I used the following iPod firmware:

iPod1,1_1.1.5_4B1_Restore.ipsw

It worked like a charm. Give that a go and you should be sitting pretty. Just remember if you have new software to follow the right procedures to go backwards.

To restore any .ipsw file to a device using iTunes, just put the device into Recovery Mode, then hold down the Option key when you click the “Restore” button in iTunes.

iTunes will then present a standard File Open dialog, where you can navigate to and select the .ipsw file. iTunes will then restore that file to the device, instead of trying to look for it over the Internet (where it doesn’t exist, which is the issue here).

thanks you very much

unknown error occurred (400).

Can’t seen to make it work.

i get same error, is there a special way to restore software?

You saved me. i’m tried to give it my 6 years old as a media player …

Hello. I had the same problem, so I decided to research myself a little. https://ayera.dl.sourceforge.net/project...

Copy this address into your browser and wait until it downloads. If it doesn’t work, try it again, the second time worked for me.

you can use this website to download the file. i had the same problem and it has been resolved. many other people have supplied this link too.

here is the link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/iostime...

Sorry, but after I download, and open the zip file. I attempt to open file w/ Itunes (default), then what? Still try to update or restore Ipod, and same error appears (400)

Hi i’m getting error code 1 on my fist gen iPod touch and I can’t restore but when I down grade my iTunes I get the error message can’t connect to the update server on the installation and then when I put the new Version back on there I get the same message and I’m lost and don't no what do or where to look

Go to

https://www.dropbox.com/s/my0zt6q3d3f8lf...

and download iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw

shift and click restore.

Apple killed totally the support of ipod 1, I mean, there’s literally way to restore ipod 1 normally from iTunes if you don’t have locally the IPSW file ;)

Thank you! I spent a couple of hours googling and trying things to restore my 1st gen iPod touch that my kid forgot the passcode for. Finally came across this thread. Thanks so much for putting this, the most recent (and final!) version of the iOS software up on dropbox!

Michel will be eternally grateful.