Announced on September 9, 2015, the iPad Mini 4 maintains the power of an iPad Air 2 in a smaller form factor.

Power button not working after screen repair.

I have an issue with repairing iPad mini 4 screen's I have repaired many iPads but the mini 4 is acting odd. I replaced the screens and swap over the home button and solder the little cable thing thats on the left side of the home button. My issue is the power button won't work any more. But oddly it will power on and power off the unit but not lock or wake up the unit. I've repaired two of these unit and both have this same exact issue.

I have repeatedly encountered this exact issue with Mini 4 repairs.

I'm at a loss. Any insight would be a lifesaver (bump)

Home button ic most likely. It needs to have the hall effect sensor ic chips on them. Usually they are on the original home button that came with the screen.

Wish I could say this was the answer, but in every case the original home button was transferred in tact from the original display (so as to preserve TouchID)

Still having no luck with this.

Any other ideas?

Go into Display/Brightness and click on & off the lock tab. It works every time.

Any idea how to get the on/off tab to appear? I have 4 ipad 4 minis that all have the same problem. I need to turn off the smart screen detection, but don't have the option to do so.

Most Helpful Answer

@kovel

New assembly (Before):

New assembly (After):

When harvesting the IC from the old assembly go slow and be careful not to tear up the pads. The solder seems to flow at about 350c. I use heated flux to stick the flex ic to the contacts and line up the holes on either side before finally soldering the chip to the new assembly.

How do you solder this? I have the flex IC off the original ipad mini 4, but I have no clue how to approach bonding it to the new one. Any help is appreciated.

Worked perfectly after re-soldering this sensor. Thanks

Thanks! This was really helpful! Mine works now :)

just try to re arrange the screen and re solder nicely put a plastic in the home button area that you resolder in order to not connecting in any other parts..

I think the trick is the use of flux. Check out this repair video: https://youtu.be/IdyIQYrOrHQ?t=1m58s

I have some confidence doing this soldering after seeing how a pro does it.

Yes, you can't use too much flux, both for cleaning up the pads and for helping stick the IC to its contact points. It's really not difficult, but I've found that tinning all 8 pads (4 on the ic and 4 on the display assembly) before beginning really helps. Go slow and make sure everything is lined up properly. shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Resoldering the IC flex did the trick.

seems like without a solid connection, this nerfs the power button.

reworked with slightly more solder on the pads and boom, the power button works again.

Hi Jeffrey can you please post pictures showing IC flex and how its soldered

this is the only fix for the power button not working after the lcd screen replacement.

https://youtu.be/5gjajXa5HHU

Is this one of your channel's videos? This isn't a publicly viewable link.

Yes it is through the editor so I will fix that now. Thanks for pointing it out for us so everyone will be able to benefit from it.

It is fixed. Hope that helps someone.

that little IC chip that you soldered did not solder correctly because that's exactly what it controls. Try it again and I'm sure it will fix the problem. Guarantee... :)

Can you purchase these ic cables. Mine is damaged?

iProiApple will be eternally grateful.