Support for gas-powered and electric golf cart, sometimes referred to as golf cars, or club cars after the Club Car Golf Cart brand.

EZGO rear wheel removal

I have tried every hub removal device I can find. The hub won't budge. I have sprayed with every type of cleaner or blaster I can find. Tried heat w torch. It won't budge. Any advice? My next attempt is to use a grinder and cut the hub off.

@jthawthorne what model EZGO do you have?

@jthawthorne you have not told us what model EZGO you have. Those details are sometimes important. You keep on talking about removing the hub and I am not sure why you are trying to remove the hub to remove the brake drum. All you have to do is to remove the cotter pin (107), the castle nut (106) and back your brake lining off with the help of the adjuster. the tap the drum with a hamer a few times and it should pull of. You may consider posting a couple of images of what you are looking at with your question. Use this guide for that. You cannot remove the hub unless you remove the brake drum since the hub is held in place by commonly 4 bolts that are on the inside of the assembly.

@jthawthorne , John, You want to remove a stuck on brake drum correct! When they are stubborn like this,remove cotter key and castle nut, make sure park brake is fully off, some times there will be a ridge on the drum from wear and you must locate the adjuster and turn adjuster star wheel to release/decrease brake expansion allowing more play for drum to slip over worn ridge on drum. Spray spline liberally with a good penatrent oil. Hit drum with heavy hammer hard multiple times on the face edge of drum, this will normally send a good vibration to release drum from axle. Still not releasing the next step would be to heat drum at hub till almost red hot and then hammer off. If it is still not budging, time to bite the bullet. Get out the angle grinder with cutting wheel, cut 2 slot in the drums hub perpendicular/across to each other, cut almost to the axle spline(stop before damaging axle), then with a heavy hammer and cold chisel, place chisel in cut slot and hit solidly rotate to other cut slot in drum hub and repeat. This will spread/crack the hub from axle spline after a few tries, allow hub to come off. Now of course that means time for new hub $40-$50. Anti seize spline before putting drum back on. Good luck.

Check for retaining clip/c clip and remove. Check the attached link for instruction on hub/axle removal. Check the attached links,instruction and guides, Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/electric-...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/836546...

The rear hub seems to be frozen in place. I have tried all types of wheel/hub pullers. All I have accomplished is destroying the end of the threaded spindle.

@jthawthorne , John, You want to remove a stuck on brake drum correct! When they are stubborn like this,remove cotter key and castle nut, make sure park brake is fully off, some times there will be a ridge on the drum from wear and you must locate the adjuster and turn adjuster star wheel to release/decrease brake expansion allowing more play for drum to slip over worn ridge on drum. Spray spline liberally with a good penetrent oil. Hit drum with heavy hamer hard multiple times on the face edge of drum, this will normally send a good vibration to release drum from axle. Still not releasing the next step would be to heat drum at hub till almost red hot and then hammer off. ((Continuation below))

@jthawthorne , If it is still not budging, time to bite the bullet. Get out the angle grinder with cutting wheel, cut 2 slot in the drums hub perpindicular/across to each other, cut almost to the axle spline(stop before damaging axle), then with a heavy hammer and cold chisel, place chisel in cut slot and hit solidlly rotate to other cut slot in drum hub and repeat. This will spread/crack the hub from axle spline after a few tries, allow hub to come off. Now of course that means time for new hub $40-$50. Antiseize spline before putting drum backon. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9kg_RA...

Most Helpful Answer

Take a look at this guide for axle replacement. It looks like the hub may be bolted on from the backside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12NT57t2...

Not looking to pull the axle. I'm trying to get the hub to release from the spline so I can service the brake linings. Using all types of hub pullers, I have only accomplished damaging the end of the threaded spindle of the axle. I have sprayed, heated and done all I know at this time to get this hub off.

LOOK at the guide and see if it is bolted on from the back!

John Hawthorne will be eternally grateful.