Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

Rear camera lens glass cracked on iPhone 7!

Dropped my phone and it landed perfectly on the asphalt right on its back and cracked the rear camera lens glass! The camera is still working with out no problem but the shatterd glass annoys the $@$* out of me and its letting in dust! Is there a way to change the "sapphire glass" as easy as on the iphone 6?

I found new sapphire glass for the iphone 7 on ebay but i found no guides on how to replace it!

Does someone know??

Best regards / Jon

Although i am yet to repair the glass on a iPhone 7 camera, i can imagine that it is held in by adhesive. since the frame (bezel) of the camera is now part of the body it should just be a piece of glass sitting on the camera hole. Hope this is helpful and would like to know the result if you attempt it. Thanks :)

Same thing happened to my iPhone 7 Plus (broken rear camera glass), went to the Apple store the guy mentioned that I might have to replace the whole device! as the glass is part of the casing... weird. I have an appointment later today, I'll report back what they do and if I have to pay for a new device :(

Thanks Matt that would be great :)!

Ok, so again they told me that on the iPhone 7 Plus the rear camera glass cover can't be replaced as it is in fact part of the casing/enclosure and so they had to replace the whole device.

They did that and surprisingly they didn't charge me anything!

So definitely worth a try for anyone with the same issue :)

I have the same problem..I tried in apple store they said they have to replace whole device and will cost 325$. But as per Matt they would replace it for free..is there anyway I can replace my phone

Most Helpful Answer

I haven't done one on an iPhone 7, but it looks like its still the same setup as before. Pry out the old with a small screwdriver, clean the glue, pop in a new one. Of course you will need to

https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig...

That shows the area of attack.

Thanks man :)! I ve ordered on ebay ill post my result

Hi John did that work?

hi josh thanks for posting this..can u please send step by step process to replace it

Jon Dahlberg how different is the quality of the onr on ebay and the actual one

Please let me know if someone has tried replacing lens with the one from eBay..if that works then I will try that..please ping me the eBay url

I just noticed the camera lens on my 7 plus is cracked. What should I do to get it fixed ?

I just discovered the same issue. Taking a regular photo was picking up streaks of light and discoloration, turned the phone around and was shocked to see the lens cover cracked and open over one of the lenses! The phone is only two weeks old, has a case, and hasn't been dropped. This must be a serious design flaw. I'll head to the Apple Store this weekend and see what they say, but I see a number of people online with the same problem and other strings discussing brittleness and scratch resistance issues.

Did u apply the one u found on ebay. Is the quality any different

I dropped my iphone 7 for the first time, it had cracked camera lens right away. I had it replaced coz of fear of leakage from water with the crack. Had to pay hefty sum for it coz they said accidents are not covered.

Learned my lesson so I bought a phone case for the replacement to add extra protection . This time I accidentally dropped it again and somehow it feels the case helped resist the shock coz I did not heard any brittle sound on the impact.

But to my surprise, the camera lens had this small crack again!!

Like WTF, i literally dropped my iphone 5 almost 100 times and it didn't had any cracked camera issue.

Apple WTF?

I have the same problem, the lens cover on my iphone 7 has broken - this has been in a protective case since purchasing and also has a tempered glass screen protector on it, no scratches or marks on the phone and has not been dropped - just been on to Apple Support who have advised taking it into store , I will let you know what they say - but will not be happy if I need to pay for this. My phone provider has advised me this is part of the warranty but I seriously think I will be told otherwise to try and get money out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDktasa...

this is the best video i found out there to help you guys out.

I'm having the same issue too. Tried going to Apple back in October after dropping my phone from only about a few feet only to discover the camera lens cracked! They wanted to replace the entire phone because it is considered accidental damage. They wanted over $300.

Previously, I had the iPhone 6 which had been dropped plenty of times over the course of 2 years with no signs of camera lens damage. This has to be a design flaw. My local repair shop will not fix the phone due to potentially compromising the water resistance.

So what options do I have here? Should I pay the $300 and get it fixed? Or try a couple different Apple stores and hope some will replace it at no cost? Is it too late into the warranty? I don't have AppleCare+.

You could try visiting more Apple Stores but that could turn into a waste of time and money travelling around, especially if they've made a note that you have already been to one and they gave you the option of replacement for $300+.

Option 1) If it does't affect your photos then just deal with it.

Option 2) Try repair it yourself, which looks very tricky i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDktasa...

Option 3) Pay the $300+ bucks and learn from your mistake by either getting a case for it or getting AppleCare+ the next time you buy a new iPhone.

A video on youtube : iPhone 7 Plus Camera Glass Replacement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222337675353

There are some lens protectors here. These completely solve the problem!

German Video: How to replace the camera lens - iPhone 7

https://youtu.be/Xm6u2FQ5YVc

Check out the JerryRigEverything's video about that here: https://youtu.be/TeDktasaPxU

Yes. I agree. Design flaw denied openly by Apple. I am retired teacher and switched from Galaxy Note 5 to Apple 7 Plus in June after grandson got my Note 5 wet and it died. Was told iPhone 7 Plus is water resistant by Verizon, so purchased. Weeks later, observed break over left lens of camera. No trauma, scratches or awareness of a drop! Was told at Apple Store that iPhone 7 Plus is enclosed system with strongest material on Earth: sapphire/diamond/crystal. Was told I was only person of 7M users that had broken camera glass! Walked out after being told my new iPhone was not repairable and must be replaced ( and melted down in Apple recycling). Told dust and moisture now would destroy new phone! Walked out and straight to Mall kiosk that repairs phone's. New glass replacement online costs $6.40. And labor to replace $40! Phone can be opened but it negates all warranties, even my Verizon Assurian Plan! And Assurian replacement negates APPLE WARRANTY! Traumatizing for this mature retired teacher. Eventually worked with Apple Support online and sent phone to Apple. Now need to now what is best case to protect vulnerable huge camera glass area when replacement or repaired phone arrives. I am convinced this is design flaw. Help! Thx! PS. Experiences in the Apple Store were traumatizing. Treated with disrespect. Lectured by male Tech and Store Manager repeatedly. I was uncharacteristically in tears. Apple telephone Support is excellent consistently. Store is not customer-friendly at management level. Not supportive nor helpful. High volume store = low appreciation for individual customer. Not truthful! Yes. iPhone 7 Plus has design flaw. Suggest folks avoid it! I wish I had not bought it. Now stuck with it. Money pit! And store manager said that is just reality of these times! Thx for letting me know I am not lone person experiencing broken camera glass amount 7M users! I knew that was not true. Engineering design FLAW!

Forbes has good article on problems with Apple 7 phone's. These phones are expensive and customers are actually making an investment into expensive but fragile equipment that apparently is more expensive to maintain. A reasonable person can look at the phone and see that the dual camera, when left uncovered (as is the case by the protective cases Apple sells as well as Verizon) is extremely VULNERABLE. There is no protective edge around the camera glass. The metal is thin and likely soft. It is a logical problem. I did not buy my iPhone for the camera feature. It is a PHONE, a life-line. Users want a dependable functional phone. Please join me in encouraging Apple to acknowledge this design flaw and take actions to make repairs affordable. At this time, Apple has declared that total replacement is the ONLY option - and it takes hours, days, much effort & time to replace a phone. Not acceptable. Who is in on joining together to encourage Apple to be more responsive and honest to customers? Count me in!

It's clearly a design hiccup. Apple tried to make the handset thinner so the camera it's too exposed, along with the rumours about the camera lens cover not any longer made of sapphire. Apple has officially said that this wasn't true (?). Anyway many people have reported the same issue with the rear camera lens cracking so easily, most of us have also already owned an iPhone. With my iPhone 5c I lost the count of how many times I dropped it and I only had a screen protector and a cover (both purchased on Amazon). After the accident, I now have an Apple silicon case (nice and expensive though) and the screen protector directly applied at the store with a specific machine (excellent result). It's been a week since the repair and I haven't dropped it at all. To be on the safe side I have also purchased a separate protection for the rear camera as the camera was still over exposed. I had to change it once already, the second one is now cracked too and I am waiting for a more expensive one to be delivered. One of the main reason that turned me into an iPhone person was that I have seen so many people keeping their handset for years, so I ask the same question: Apple WTF is this? Just admit it.

Score -1

Get a case designed to resist impact. Not a piece of rubber. Something designed to absorb the shock of an impact. There are plenty of them out there in all different price ranges.

I never understood how people could buy an $800 device that's thickness is measured in millimeters and is 50% glass, then act surprised when it broke when they drop it.

There is no design flaw. iPhones are not designed to be dropped.

Actually they are e designed to be dropped. I dropped my iPhone 4 and 5s lots of times. No problem. My 7plus lasted 3 months and cracked lens cover. A small piece of glass like that should be virtually unbreakable even if it was just regular glass. I say design flaw.

I had iPhone 4, 5s, 6, 6s and now 7. I accidentally dropped all of my previous iPhones countless times and never had any damage to the screen (even with iPhone 4!). Now, with iPhone 7 plus, first and single time I dropped was enough for the lens glass to crack. I was very disappointed. So maybe there is a point in affirming that the design that exposes the lens glass that much is more prone to this damage. I hope any cheaper fix appears here soon, specially because Apple does not repair the SIM free iPhone model in my country.

It IS a design flaw! Drop from 2ft onto a flat surface and Ping, the glass breaks. FLAW FLAW FLAW!

Dropped my phone a couple days ago and now the back camera is a black screen. Some guy at verizon told me to go to a fix screen place but im afraid its more (inside the phone) lmk if this has happened, also i do not have apple care

Jon Dahlberg will be eternally grateful.