1

Adam Hintz
1k

My screen has a speck on it?!?

So I generally keep my MacBook in very good shape, but the other day I noticed a little speck in the middle of the display. I ran my fingers gently over it and felt something (so it's not a drop of water or something). Between the keyboard and palm rest I also found a little piece of something, which I scraped off (this is approximately the same position as the speck on the screen). I don't want to scratch at my displya trying to get something off, for fear of damaging it. Is there some way that I can:

A) Determine whether I can safely "remove" this speck, and

B) If it is an indentation or other mark on my display, can I fix it without replacing the whole display?

All help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Edited by: Adam Hintz ( )

3

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

Spray a little Windex on a very soft cloth and see if it will dissolve.

Update: If the speck bothers you that much, here's the guide for replacing the screen: Repairing MacBook Core 2 Duo Installing LCD & Inverter (fast method) A1181

Edited by: mayer ( )

Thanks for the suggestion Mayer, however this did not resolve my problem (although I haven't cleaned my screen properly in a while, so it did make the screen cleaner overall). After a few minutes of rubbing at the spot, it is still there. Any other ideas? I think I remember hearing that Vaseline could be used to fill in nicks in this type of display, although I can't verify that it's a good idea or not.

Adam Hintz,

I really wouldn't put something like vaseline on my screen as it would attract dirt. Try using a magnifying glass to see what it is.

mayer,

It looks like it's a small indentation. It's darkening the pixels in about a 3x3 range, which makes it quite visible whenever I work. Any ideas?

Adam Hintz,

Look on the keyboard to what's sticking up to high and causing the indentation.

mayer,

There was a piece of something there before, I scraped it off already.

Adam Hintz,