Unibody MacBook Pro models with 13" displays produced from 2009-2012.

How to install Mac OSX Sierra on a new hard drive

I am installing a new hard drive on a mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro. How do I install the Mac OSX Sierra operating system?

Do an internet recovery install. Here's how, remember with a new drive you will first need to go to Disk Utilities and format the drive GUID Mac Extended:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/02/25/...

The internet recovery would have the old previous OS X or even older right?

Well if it ends up being the case the OS can be updated using the apple app store and clicking on Mac OS x Sierra upgrade there.

@benjamen50 With a new drive an internet recovery is going to install the original OS X the machine shipped with. But you have to have a system installed to get to the APP store.

It wouldn’t work to put High Sierra on a new drive wich has a original installed OS X done through recovery. It will usually ask you to install OS X 10.8. It won’t allow you to jum straight to Hugh Sierra OSX 10.13

On my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.13I had a 240gb Solid state hard drive, but I needed bigger!

So I got a new Kensington 480gb SSD.

During formatting and installation, OSX 10.7.5 is automatically installed can’t do anything about it!

I wanted to install High Sierra it wouldn’t allow me until I installed OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion!

How can you install Disk Utilities if the hard drive is new? does it have to be an Apple compatible drive?

Any good had or Solid state will do, the drive needs to be formatted as will all drives.

Peter Prentice will be eternally grateful.