Why is my sound not working?

The sound used to work and has just stopped but all the sound drivers are working fine?

my sound is not working i cant hear anything i have it turned all the way up i restarted my laptop6 times and shuted it down 6 times and left it alone all night and day for 2 days in a row

by Brianna Sutton

Click on Start Button

Go to My Computer and right click on it

Go to manage and then select device manager

Here you can see "Sound and multimedia" something click on it.

Now click on update driver and select online update it will download driver and you will listen your sound.

by Leslie

Maybe it is a simple Problem in the BIOS. By starting the Notebook you cn get in the BIOS and have a look if the Internal Audio Chipset is enabled.

by Benjamin Semrock

check the sound driver and update the driver with latest settings . visit http://goo.gl/rnScvh and once you update the driver restart the computer i am sure this can be a help

by Ethan Carter Carter

There are two primary places to check assuming that you are sure the audio program you are using is not muted. The first is the windows audio feature of your operating system either there with be an silver speaker icon located on the bottom right hand of your desktop next to the clock or you will have to go to the control panel to locate it.To get to the control panel(assuming you are using windows xp):#

1. Select the start button.

2. Choose the Control Panel from the menu.

3. Select Sounds and Audio Devices

4. Make sure mute box is not checked.

5. Select Audio Tab

6. Under Sound Playback category make sure proper device is selected.

If all of these check out then the second thing to check would be the three buttons located next to the blue access ibm button. They are digital volume up, volume down, and mute buttons. Try pressing the mute button and then repeatedly pressing the volume up button to ensure these manual switches are not causing the sound shortages.#

If these do not do the trick then the next likely culprit could be the audio drivers, which can be obtained from IBM's driver page.

The last resort would be to check the headphone jack and the speakers themselves. If anything is logged into the headphone jack it can cause a bypass of the audio to the speakers but this is unlikely if you do not have children.

Finally the speakers might have gone bad, but in my experience in laptops, this is a highly unlikely situation but not one to be put aside if you are willing to put in the work. Check out the Speaker Repair Guide to find out how to get to the speakers if you feel like taking the time to fix this. Otherwise just get a set of miniature usb speakers and bypass the problem altogether. They are probably going to be louder and better quality than the built-in speakers anyway.

IBM ThinkPad T41 Speakers Image

Guide

IBM ThinkPad T41 Speaker replacement

Difficulty: Moderate15 - 20 minutes

Very thorough answer +

by rj713

@joel

Brilliant-accidentally muted with key, likely doing F5 to refresh! HAha!

new laptop user working in dim light with view obstructed...

by Rick

Thank you Joel, now my thinkpad t41sound problem is covered.

I wish you the best in your life for your generous heart.

Carry on the good work.

by Herly

thanks a lot! I have pressed mute button on keyboard and didn't realise :D

by Tadas Butkus

Joel: Your answer is still spreading joy. I had unintentionally muted my speakers with the IBM button. I wasted several hours installing and uninstalling a driver that was working all along. Thanks. hrh

by deb1har2

i think there is something that can help follow this

check any updates on sound driver . and make sure the speaker settings are on and uinstall the driver and install it again if nothing works contact lenovo www.lenovo.com/sound.help.html and thanks this will help

i would say best to contact lenovo http://goo.gl/yb8MSi

I had this problem for like a month, finally found the right driver and installed it the following way:

Steps:

1. Download the audio driver file from here: http://fileme.us/file/0Y1B61

2. Extract it anywhere on your computer.

3. Right-Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Right-Click on missing audio driver which has a warning sign (!) on it -> Update Driver

4. Installation Wizard will appear, check "install from a list or specific location" -> NEXT -> Check "include this location on the search" and browse to the extracted driver location -> Next to install & finish installation :)

i would say before you change the sound card please un-install the sound driver and install it once again .make sure that you update the sound driver and check the sound settings . if this is not working try changing your sound card . thanks

Jonathan Tattersall will be eternally grateful.