Security Screw Driver 4PS SCUF

Hello, Been looking to open my scuf controller as the charging port is broken.

I cant seem to find the right security driver for opening it up.

Any help would be great thanks.

Took these pictures to see if this would further point me in the right direction!

thanks

hi, how did you open it?? i need to open it too lol

Why is this marked solved. It is not solved. The guy is trying to find out what kind of screw it is so he can take it out himself. The question wasn't, How can I destroy this screw and ruin my warranty while trying to get inside of this controller. So did Scuf have this screw invented specifically for them? Why does no one seem to know what kind of screw that is?

thanks for the reply!

Yeah scuf invented the screw currently you cant buy the driver on the market, still looking but cant get it...

my contribution to this question is the right answer. you can check my sources. i would have responded sooner but had some technical issues with ifixit spam box. hope my contribution helps those looking to find the right solution.

Here's a repair video on it, but the guy modified the screw and it does focus well enough to see what type it is. Post a picture of it would help us to find out what it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHPRyOel...

My research says it's an E5 torx like this:

http://www.kmart.com/gearwrench-1-4inch-...

I added the pictures i took and a small video, thanks for the reply!

Yep, looks like a E5 Torx

Ill order one and see what happens :)

It does look a bit big for the hole tho? wouldnt you agree?

Again thanks for the reply.

Torx, both internal and external, have 6 splines. The screw pictured has 5 splines. Therefore this is 100% not a Torx screw.

I still count six on the screw. But your pictures also show a bolt on the left. Is that what you are talking about?

Guys I see this is an old thread and without arguing bit type there's a very simple answer, just take a Dremel or something similar and cut out a slot to make it a flat head screw. I ended up fixing my paddle which is why I came here with alcohol and spray air, but if needed this was how I was going to remove the mystery security screw. I have a good sized set of security bits and apparently this ones pretty uncommon.

Those look like star and game bits.

It does look right for the game bit part except it only has 5 bits on the screw instead of 6 like the gamebit driver

Fair point, I wonder if melting a pen would still work

I was actually thinkin that myself!

i know for sure what that screw is. its a security screw that scuf put on the controller. you can remove it with the special screwdriver. search for mpn security-screwdriver-bit-set-zer0 and use n-usa-0 for that screw and use the n-usa-torx torx bit for the paddles. i find the paddles don't strip when i use these torx bits.

use the n-usa 8? whats that one?

any chance you can add the direct links please.

Why would you use a Torx bit for the paddle screws? They are Allen/Hex socket screws, not internal Torx screws, so that doesn't make any sense. Also, the set of bits you listed does not contain a bit/socket that would fit this screw, unless it just happens to be one of the two cable box specific bits. The picture of the set doesn't show anything that would fit either.

@ cocothevillageidiot

I would have responded sooner but had some issues with ifixit auto spam bot.

not sure if ifixit allows direct links - so google is your friend these days

search "mpn security-screwdriver-bit-set-zer0" or simply security-screwdriver-bit-set-zer0

either should do or look up the company name that makes it. you will run into it.

@ouijasti

your response insights much negative energy. ifixit posts are supposed to be helpful. i don't see where your posts are helping anyone. you are hypothesizing much forged information without supporting data to complement such nonsense. please do your homework before you insult those here who are trying to truly help the OP.

The screwdriver set that I recommended is the correct answer to this long sought out question. I own it and it was worth the money. If I were you, I would look at each specialty screw driver and view its content - you would see that each is different. I bought the one that I outlined because it has the Scuf screwdriver in it.

@ouijasti

Please don't make any meaningless post to my recommended contributions without first checking the source or validating your thoughts.

The shipping cost wasn't 2x the cost of the set. Shipping was virtually free with a membership account. I made an account, ordered and got my set in a few days. I hope my contribution helps the OP or anyone else looking for the answer.

I'm having the same problem with my Scuf controller and its security screw. It is not, as others have claimed, external torx or "gamebit" as those are six spline drivers and this screw is pentalobe. It is basically an intverted/external pentalobe screw that would require a pentalobe socket of some kind. I'm still on the hunt because none of the proposed solutions would work except perhaps the security driver set listed by the last poster. However looking at the set he mentions I don't see a socket that would specifically fit this screw.

EDIT: I guess I'll gamble the under $20 for the bit set and see if it works.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, they charge as much for shipping as for the tool set, so that's not worth the gamble. I don't believe that tool set has the correct socket anyway. I've looked over the list of bits that it contains and I can rule out all of them except the two that are for opening cable boxes. It's possible that one of those might get the job done but I doubt it.

nonsense OP and ppl, read my notes and supporting data to find the right contributed answer to this OPs question. IFIXIT HELP RULES!

You have no supporting data for your claims at all.

my answer will still be the correct contribution to this question until you can put up facts to prove me incorrect. otherwise, please stop spamming ifixit with your negative views and conspiracy theories.

The supporting data is in my answer.

I will not entertain your insolent childish behavior any longer. Any further response will be ignored. PPL such as yourself should be banned from ifixit.

cocothevillageidiot will be eternally grateful.