The second-generation Dakota began development in 1991 and frozen for production in January 1994.

Why does my blower resistor keep going bad

Have replaced my blower resistor 3 times already in the past 2 weeks. What could be the reason it keeps going bad?

I had this problem reoccurring! I had to keep replacing the blower motor resister. I finally replaced the blower motor and was fine for about a year. Before I could tell when it blew, because it would only work on high. This time, it all went out without warning and wouldn't even work in high!! Checked other things first (since the blower motor was fairly new (fuses, relays, etc.), all seemed ok. Replaced the resister ONCE AGAIN, and it works!! Getting tired of replacing it!! Good thing it isn't very expensive!

Does the blower motor run with the switch in the OFF position? If you leave the blower motor switched continually on you may not notice this.

If so I suspect that there is an earth fault on one of the wires connected to either pin 4 or 5 of the resistor.

If not then it may be a faulty blower switch

Here is a the blower circuit for a 2002 Dodge Dakota. Hopefully it is the same for your particular year model.

With a DMM (Digital Multimeter - Ohmmeter function) remove the blower resistor and measure the resistance readings on the blower resistor module between pin 2 and pin 1 (should read 0 Ohms) then between pin 1 and pin 3 then 3 & 4 then 4 & 5 and see what they are reading to find out which one has failed.

I suspect that there will be no reading between pins 1 & 3. This is because this is the resistor which carries all the current when the switch is in positions low thru med 2.

However I am suggesting that if for example you had an wiring earth fault on pin 4 and the switch was on Med 2 then not only would you have the normal current flowing through the resistor connected between pins 1 & 3 BUT you would also have more current because of the circuit path available thru pin 4 (which shouldn't be there). This scenario is the same for pin 5 with the Med 1 position.

It could also be an internal blower switch fault and that there is a short circuit connection between either the low and Med 1 setting or between the Med 1 and Med 2 setting. Hi should not affect it as it is a short circuit through the resistor anyway. With the plug disconnected from the resistor measure back toward the switch between the wires for pin 3 & 4 (light blue and light green/yellow) and 4 & 5 (light green/yellow and tan). and rotate the switch. There should never be a reading between the wires with the switch in any position.

Hopefully I have not confused you with all this.

Most Helpful Answer

Trent, one of the biggest reasons for blower motor resistors to have shorten life is actually because of faulty blower motor drawing too many amps, some times melting wires/plugs, heating up resistors shortening their life. Many Dodge forums tell of this problem. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dura...

Hi @lpfaff1

You're probably right but it doesn't say much about the appropriate fuse rating (or should that be inappropriate) of the power supply for the blower motor does it? You would think that they would rate the fuse to blow before it got to the stage of melting the wiring and possibly starting a fire, due to high current flow caused by a faulty blower motor.

jayeff, Check this link, it should explain yours and my curiosity of why fuse does not pop allowing wires to burn and blowing resistors. Thanks for the interest, I wondered why also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0G-8V_1...

Hi @lpfaff1

Thanks for the link. Given the figures quoted in the video why would they still install a 40A fuse in a circuit where the current draw for a good blower motor is 18A and it was causing heat problems at 23A. They are turning the wiring into fuse wires. The wires will burn out before the fuse will. It will only operate on a full s/c. I am amazed that they allow such a large tolerance.

Hi jayeff, Definite design flaw. The 40A fuse is to be the circuit fuse, Items in this circuit should be fused separately and should not add up to more then 40A circuit fuse. Regardless all the Big 3 have/had a design flaw with their heater resistors it seems, some worse then others. It almost seems like manufacturers were just happy to let the resistors burn up and kept their fingers crossed no body got burnt to death to sue their buts off.

Trent will be eternally grateful.