Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Will replace battery indicator will fix sleep sensor problem?

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask if the magnet test( put magnet to make Macbook sleep) not working, will it be the battery indicator/ sleep sensor cable faulty( my battery button indicator still work perfectly) . I just have the problem with Macbook does not enter sleep mode when i closed lit( have ruled all possible solfware issues). Any help would be appreciated.

Has the screen been worked on?

Yes, it works perfectly, i believe that the issues is the sleep sensor since i has uses the magnet to test it. And the macbook does not sleep when i uses the magnet to fool it so i believe that the problem probably be the sleep sensor. I just don't know if replace it will solve the problem. Thank you for your participation

Most Helpful Answer

Since the hall effect (sleep sensor) is located on the ribbon cable of the battery indicator board, that will likely fix the issue.

Thank you for your response. Do you know if replacing the sleep sensor requiring to disassemble the motherboard. I'm kind of thinking to dissemble the battery and replace it without the need to dissemble the motherboard

Yes, you will have to take out the motherboard, since a portion of the cable is under the motherboard. Don't try to take it out without removing the motherboard - I accidentally destroyed one of these thinking I could get away with it . You only need to undo the connectors, and take out 7 or so Torx T6 screws. Then, you just need to remove the battery, and un-do three phillips screws to access the battery light indicator.

If the battery indicator light don't light up when you press the button, there is a small chance that there is an issue with the motherboard - replacing the sleep sensor isn't a guaranteed fix.

Thank you for your advice and concern. My battery indicator light actually did light up, which makes me a little confusing in concern about whether the cable really broken. I"ll order the part tonight and see if it fix the problem. Thank you for your clarification.

And Sam, could the hard drive ribbon cable be the reason why the sleep sensor won't work. I have do some research and found out that some people saying that this cable also responsible for the sleep issue. Is the macbook has 2 sensor for the sleep sensor.

Replacing the battery indicator fixed the sleep sensor problems

I have looked everywhere to figure out if the replacing the battery indicator will fix it as I have the EXACT same issue. Thanks for letting us know. Looks like I'll have to order that part too.

Glad it helps you, the weird things about this cable is that the battery indicator button actually acts independently with the sleep sensor.

harryha will be eternally grateful.