Repair and disassembly guides for microwave ovens.

389 Questions View all

Is it safe to operate a microwave oven without the magnetron fan

My parents have had the same microwave oven since 1984. It has been a great machine. Today my dad spilled his coffee inside of it and then punched the microwave. After that the fan that is supposed to run while the food is heating up stopped working. The microwave still heats food even though the fan is not functioning. I am worried that there is going to be some sort of overheating and along with that any number of disastrous outcomes. Does anyone know if this microwave is still safe to operate like this?

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0
Add a comment
New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

Furj. Discontinue use of the microwave, your assumptions are correct it is not safe to operate in this condition and could catch on fire, may have loose arcing wire, etc. Microwave should be checked out by a good repair tech. to ensure liquid is not corroding other components as well as check, diagnose and estimate repair on fan. Good luck.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 4


mayer, my answer clearly states (((discontinue use/not safe to operate))) and to have checked only by a good tech. How would this kill some one?


I know, I upvoted yours.


Mayer, Thanks for the upvote, I thought you were implying I was trying to kill somebody with my answer. Thanks again.


Thanks L Pfaff for the response it was useful and was also reinforced by LadyTech. I don't know what Mayer is talking about.


Add a comment

It is not safe. Unplug it until it is thoroughly checked. A 1984 microwave could have a lot of brittle parts, corroded connections etc. A Survey test should be performed yearly to test for leakage. A "punch" could cause serious damage. Be safe, never attempt to repair a microwave unless you are certified. The capacitor can hold 6k volts even after it's been unplugged for days/weeks.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3


Hey, LadyTech and you @lpfaff1 - both of you two need to do some research to understand just what the purpose of that fan is before answering a question like this! Is it the cooling fan we are talking about here or the stirrer motor? Let's try real hard not to kill anyone with uneducated advice. Personally I wouldn't touch this machine with a ten foot pole. It's 33 years old, dangerous and finding parts, next to impossible. It's not worth the risk. Please use common sense.


Mayer, obviously you need to re-read my post. It is ALL about safety and nothing encouraging them to use the microwave. My first sentence reads IT IS NOT SAFE!

As far as doing research, I've got 32 yrs of properly diagnosing and repairing every appliance in the home as well as microwave certification , HVAC, commercial kitchen/laundry equipment, gas/propane,

3 phase and the list goes on.

Before you so boldly told me what I should do, maybe you should have used some common sense and re-read my answer.


I agree with you LadyTech and thank you for the informative response. I had done enough research to know that it was the fan for the magnetron that had failed but I could not find anything online stating that it was dangerous to use the microwave in this condition. I was wanting to be able to show my folks that they should not be using the microwave in this condition. Again thanks and no thanks to the unnecessary response from Mayer.


Lady Tech good to know you are qualified. It would be even better to complete your profile so we can get to know you better.


Add a comment

Yes this fan is to prevent the microwave from overheating. Most microwaves have a thermostat that will turn on the fan if the cooktop area is overheating when it cools the fan will stop.

Since the fan doesn't work anymore, I suggest a replacement. you might be able to use it still but at your own risk, Microwave capacitors hold enough of a charge to act like a grenade when they pop. So for your safety discontinue use.

The magnetron head contains a Radioactive material that breaks down when explosed to electric to make "rays of microwaves" if that breaks or pops you risk Beryllium Oxide poisoning from the ceramic insulators

which if air bourn can kill you

Best Regards,


Was this answer helpful?

Score 2
Add a comment

Add your answer

Furj will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 10

Past 7 Days: 49

Past 30 Days: 215

All Time: 1,014