Released June 2012 / Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost / Up to 1 GB DDR5 Video RAM

387 Questions View all

MagSafe Burned out. Won't turn on.

Hello there.

I've a MBP 15" Unibody A1286.

I have been working on a University project. While all of the sudden the mac turned off with a sound of an spark (arc). And a burning smell from the MagSafe.

I have tried opening th mac and inspecting the damage. Although other than the burning smell from the DC IO there is nothing that I can see.

When the charger is plugged in the smell carries on and the green light on the MagSafe appears. Also while the charger plugged in the battery button works and shows the current state of my battery (around 50%)

When the charger is unplugged the battery status doesn't respond. (Thought I added that here).

I have seen some topics about this issue although I preferred to make my own topic and ask to cross check all the information.

As a heads up I'm using the 60W charger (even tho I know I should be using the 85W).

Do you think replacing th DC Board would fix the issue?

Thank you



Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0


We really need more info here. Your problem could be more than the DC-In board, The battery may need replacing and you could also have a problem with the charging logic on the main logic board.

Lets start off by installing this free little gem of an App: CoconutBattery. Once you install it take a screenshot of the main screen which will give us a run down on the battery and the charging logic. Paste it here so we can see it as well.

You should also get the correct charger for your system in the meantime.


Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

As a start replace that mag-safe board, you know it is defective, here's how: MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 MagSafe DC-In Board Replacement

As for the 65 watt charger, it will work but charge more slowly.

You may or may not have damaged the logic board but you won't know until you get the defective mag-safe board replaced. The shorting can be caused by a defective AC adapter, things like a staple in the port (it is magnetic). So let us know how well it's working after the replacement. Also use a multimeter and check the adapter. Here's the pin out on the right: magsafe adapter & wiki

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2
Add a comment

Add your answer

Patryk Orlowski will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 2

Past 7 Days: 6

Past 30 Days: 44

All Time: 531