The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Dead MacBook battery storage?

Hi, I have a couple years old MacBook that has some water damage, involving a damaged MagSafe port among other things. Due to this, I have to store the computer in a discharged state. Unfortunately I will not be able to send it in for repair for a few months, so I am stuck with it dead for now.

My question is: by the time the computer is able to be repaired(2-3 months) and I can charge it, will the Li-Po battery be toast? I read online somewhere that you need to store batteries charged in order to prevent them from becoming completely useless. Before the incident battery monitor said it had about 80%-70% of manufactured capacity and I would really like to avoid buying a new battery or computer. By the way it has already been dead for 1 month. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I would remove the battery and store it in an anti-static bag. I keep all kinds of replacement batteries in stock, most brand new but some used ones and i store them all this way.

If your give us the Axxx number from the back of the machine we can get you to the correct guide for removing it.

Thank you for the advice. However if I do place it in an anti-static bag, does that make it ok to store in a discharged state?

I would not worry about charged or not. Most new batteries will lose 30% just sitting in the box.

Damian Hackett will be eternally grateful.