Model A1419 / Late 2012 / 2.9 & 3.2 GHz Core i5 or 3.4 GHz Core i7 Processor

Replacing SATA HDD to SSD for my 27 inch iMac

Hello, people.

I am from India and I have a 27 inch iMac late 2012 EMC 2546.

I purchased Samsung SSD 850 Pro and I am looking to replace the internal SATA hard drive that came with the system. I approached the apple service guys and they said they will do it for a nominal cost but I have to provide them all the necessary components.

I have a few queries with regard to this.

1. Going through all the posts in the forum, I understood I need an 2.5 to 3.5 HDD adapter. I am confused in selecting one. Could someone please give me a few options?

2. If I am changing the hard drive, should I be getting thermal sensor cable? What is the use of it? I just read that for MacOS El Capitan and Sierra, you wouldn't need the sensor cable.

If I am missing something apart from these two, please guide me. Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Here's the guide for replacing it:

iMac Intel 27" EMC 2546 Hard Drive Replacement

Here's what you need for the temperature sensor issue:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDI...

Here's the caddy you will need:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSD2...

If you want to add an SSD flash drive here's how that's done:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDI...

Installation videos are on this page.

@mayer - The SSD vid you posted is for the PCIe blade drive not the SATA HD connection.

Here's the correct vid: iMac 27-Inch Late 2013 HD Install Video While its for a newer model its the same process and you're using a SSD vs HD.

@danj I know, see the sentence before I gave the link

@mayer - I think he wanted to swap out his current HD for a 2.5" SSD Vs digging deep into the system to put the blade SSD in.

@danj just wanted to let him know there were options ;-)

@mayer - No worries here, just keeping you honest ;-}

2. The sensor cable measures the temperature of the HDD. One fan in the Imac is only for cooling the HDD. If unplug the sensor the fan will spin at 100% (very annoying). Some SSD´s work with apple sensor some not. But you can also unplug the fan.

1. You can use any rack 3.5 to 2.5 for an iMac. They all fit.

How do I know if the SSD I have works with Apple sensor?

I have no options for 3.5 to 2.5 racks in India. So I have to be specific in getting one. If you could give me some links, that would be helpful.

Did you look at the second link I gave? You can probably make one out of a tin can and some tin snips and a drill. Or get an old 3.5" hard drive, gut it, drill some holes and make one.

Fahad Mohammed will be eternally grateful.