0

Joseph Amstadt
1

Which replacement Optical drive do I need for my system?

I have the 2GHz intel core 2 duo version. and the optical drive is on it's way out. Looking @ the drives available against what I have I think I need the UJ-85J. But in the product details it says that it is compatible with OS versions 10.2 through 10.5. I am going to be installing 10.6.3 when I get this fixed.

So the question is... Will this be the right one and is this drive compatible with snow leopard?

Edited by: Andrew Optimus Goldberg ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

3

rj713

Here is a link to the suggested superdrive for your unit. I agree it says its compatible with 10.2 to 10.5 but it is for a Intel computer so it should work with 10.6 as well. Ask the sales person when you buy for confirmation. Good luck. Ralph

12.7 mm PATA 8x Pioneer SuperDrive

12.7 mm PATA 8x Pioneer SuperDrive

Burn CDs and DVDs with your computer. — Currently out of stock.

Edited by: rj713 ( )

How do you know I need the Pioneer version and not this one? http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/12-7-m... because i currently have this... MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J Thanks for your help.

Joseph Amstadt,

Hello Joseph, That was the first one I came to. Looking at your specs that should work also. Ralph

rj713,

Awesome. Thanks!

Joseph Amstadt,

0

sheadweller
1

This is not a hard fix just one that takes some time. I replaced the drive not once but twice on an iMac 8.1. Whenever I crack the case, I make sure to have some regular clear tape on hand. As I take each screw out I tape it to the side of the Mac, this way I don't wind up getting confused and the screw slots in to the hole much easier.

Makes it easier to keep track of things and easier to put the thing back together.

On my iMac it was really simple and straightforward, remove the screen with suction cups. Remove outer screws. Remove second level (inner) screws. disconnect two cables, rotate the screen so I can get to the guts. Remove the cables to the drive (more screws), gently peel back some tape and unscrew the drive from the caddy.

Replace the drive and pt the things back together.

It sounds formidable but once you’ve replaced any drive in an IMac it is a lot less intimidating cracking the case.