Repair guides and support for top and front loading Whirlpool brand washers.

Does not spin in spin cycle or does not spin fast enough

Hello, I have an Inglis Whirlpool large capacity top load washing machine. I bought it new in 2006 which makes it a 10 yr old machine. I'm having 2 problems with it now. First: the spin cycle will either spin too slow to get the water out or it doesn't spin at all. I reset it by unplugging it for a few minutes & plugging it back in & opening/closing the lid a few times then running it through a small cycle, which it then spins. (I read resetting it like that can help, which it did for a while) I wash a new load & sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It agitates fine in wash cycle. I've been washing only a couple items at a time hoping it'll spin, but it doesn't. So I do the lid reset & try again. Most times now, it doesn't work.

Second: almost every time at the beginning of the spin cycle it'll start adding water! Then it'll go into the spin cycle after. Sometimes it spins, slowly, but most times it doesn't spin at all. Please help. I don't have the money to buy a new one so I'm really hoping I can fix it myself

Thank you!

@sandylittle314 what is your exact model number?

I am having the same problem with my washer machine, It fills, agitates and drains, but does not spin. I unplug it for a few minutes, plug it back in, put in on drain and spin cycle, then it spins. Not sure what the problem it since unplugging it then plugging it back it can get the spin cycle to work, thinking something with the timer?

zantor please ask a new question on your specific problem

Cause 1

Motor Coupling

The motor coupling connects the motor to the washer transmission. If the washer is overloaded, the motor coupling will fail in order to protect both the motor and transmission. The motor coupling can also fail due to normal wear. Inspect the motor coupling to determine if it is broken. If the motor coupling is broken, replace it.

Cause 2

Drive Belt

Inspect the drive belt to determine if it is broken or if it is loose on the pulleys. If the drive belt is broken or loose, replace it.

Cassandra Little will be eternally grateful.