TV turns on but no picture/sound

I have a LG 60pz950 Plasma 5 years old was working fine then one day turned on the tv and you see the tv is on but no picture and also if you select tv source etc nothing shows on the tv screen you would usually see the tv menu. I ended up buying a new TV. Do you think its worth getting this repaired? I spent 2k on this new tv. The LG was $1500. I have been checking these groups to see if I can repair it myself. What part would cause this and can I repair it myself? Thanks

Was this supposed to be an answer?

The mainboard replacement corrected the issue. There is a thin material that I guess prevents the heat which sits over the chip then a huge heatsink. I am not sure what more that is so thin I can put to prevent this from dying on me this time around.

Hi @xxnonamexx ,

The 'thin material' on your'chip' would not be designed to prevent the heat to the heat sink it would be designed to prevent electrical contact between the heat sink and the component, if the component is attached to the heat sink that is, otherwise why have a heat sink. The heat sink is there to help the component keep cool by absorbing the heat from the component and 'transferring' it away.

Not sure what type of 'chip' that you are referring to but if the material on yours was designed to electrically insulate, (not thermally insulate) the component from the heat sink then you should look up 'mica insulator kits' for the particular type of component.

Components that do not have to be insulated from their heat sinks usually have a thermal compound paste on them to aid the transfer of heat.

Mike will be eternally grateful.