Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

244 Questions View all

15 amp fuse used instead of 20 amp

Could using a 15 amp use instead of 20 amp cause intermittent failure of microwave to do anything? control panel completely dark.

Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 0

Comments:

If you mean fuse or circuit breaker in the house wiring panel, a 20 amp fuse or breaker cannot be used with 14 guage wiring. 14 guage wire is only rated for 15 amps . That is a fire hazard!

by

Huh? Where you get residential wiring? He's talking about a 20 amp microwave fuse dude.

by

Fuses have two choices.. ON and BLOWN. There is no "intermittent".

Don't ever 'try' a bigger fuse. I learned that the fast way. ZAP!

by

mary - while we argue semantics,,, could you please refine this question a little ?

Could using a 15 amp use instead of 20 amp cause intermittent failure of microwave to do anything? control panel completely dark.

I read that as;

Microwave was dark. Somebody replaced the fuse. It worked, just a little. Now its dark again.

Please explain "intermittent failure". I consider burnt-black-popcorn an intermittent failure ;>)

by

Add a comment

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

Hi,

Depending on the maximum power used by the microwave and the voltage of your power supply roughly determines the current required. e.g. 1200W Microwave 120V AC power supply = approx. current of 10 Amps. or 1200W microwave 230V AC power supply = approx. current of 5.21 Amps. (Formula I=P/V - this is only approximate, but to use as a guide is close enough)

So therefore a 15 Amp fuse should be more than capable of handling the current required before it fails. (I assume that you mean the fuse in the microwave oven.)

Has it failed? If so that means that there is a fault further into the circuit and the fuse is just doing its job, which is protecting the equipment from further damage and also the user by preventing electrocution or even a possible fire due to a fault condition.

The best way to determine what the correct value fuse should be is to look up the model number of your microwave and see what the manufacturer specifies.

If the fuse has not blown, unless the fuse is loose in the fuse holder it would be very unusual for it to cause intermittent power problems. It is more likely to be a loose connection or dry solder joint in the power supply path or even a dry joint solder connection on the control board.

If you don't know what you are doing leave microwave ovens alone. Even with the power disconnected it can still deliver a nasty shock, even fatal depending on your medical condition, if you go looking inside one to see what the problem is and inadvertently touch the wrong thing.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 3

Comments:

your whole schematic is completely wrong when it comes to microwave fuses and amps. Long story short only use 20 amp fuse when labeled for 20 amp otherwise it'll blow seeing they are fast acting fuses and ceramic they work differently than regular (clear)fuses. 15 and 20 amp fuses are almost always same exact price and only 3 or 4 bucks so no need to cut corners

by

@dawhoda how do you figure? What is the right way to figure this out?

by

Hi @dawhoda ,

This may be of interest to you

Also I did have the following in my answer

"The best way to determine what the correct value fuse should be is to look up the model number of your microwave and see what the manufacturer specifies".

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

mary will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 6

Past 7 Days: 36

Past 30 Days: 191

All Time: 4,543