Repair guides for many brands of PC laptop (notebook) computer.

How to restore replaced word document?

I had written my course paper in word and had name it research paper and saved it in a folder named manoj. Later from my fump drive i tried to copy a file which was also named research paper and tried to save it in the same folder manoj. windows asked me if i wanted to replace the file and accidentally i said yes. now I can’t find my research paper. please help me out here.

you may be screwed if what @jayeff said doesn't work. the file was likely overwritten, and most thumb drives dont have file history(the option to recover prev.versions)

Thank you for your feedback. I'll try to do all that you advised.

I am sorry to say that you will almost certainly need to begin retyping.

The rest of the discussion in this Comment would best be categorized in the "grasping at straws" or "what to do next time" department.

If you had AutoRecover enabled (using the Tools...Options...Save menu item), there would be a backup copy in

C:\Documents and Settings\your Windows log-in name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word

until you close Word. There may also be a backup copy in the same folder as the original file (manoj); if so, its name will be something like ~paper.doc. As part of closing, Word deletes these backup copies.

But if you had the presence of mind to use Task Manager to force quit Word (or pulled the plug on your computer). Then the backup copy will still be there the next time Word launches. It is worth noting that the Application Settings folder is hidden by default--so you won't be able to see it unless you choose the option to "Show hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer's Tools...Folder Options... View menu item.

A file undelete, might be able to recover your data--assuming that you haven't used Word since wiping your document and that you had AutoRecover enabled. If you find any, recover them all and change the suffix to .xls. You can then open them one at a time to see if you can recover your work.

If you saved your file on top of another file, you may be able to recover it by double-clicking your Recycle bin. Your file may be there.

When you saved the file, you didn't actually wipe out the old file. Rather, you erased its entry in the file allocation table. What happens is that Word or Excel saves the file with a random file name in an unused part of your hard drive. If the save is successful, it renames the saved copy with your desired file name--and erases any other mention of that file name in the same folder in the file allocation table. So if you can recover the file contents before those file clusters get rewritten, then the day will be saved.

If after you restore the file using programs it becomes corrupted and will not open then you just might be able to do recovery word file via Word Recovery Online service https://onlinefile.repair/en/word.html

I am very grateful for your advice. Thank you very much!

Most Helpful Answer

Hi, Not saying that it will work but try the following.

Locate the file named research paper in the manoj folder using Windows Explorer, right click on the file, select "Recover previous versions". Hopefully the file will be available. Good Luck!

Hi! Take some solution from me

But if you had the presence of mind to use Task Manager to force quit Word (or pulled the plug on your computer). Then the backup copy will still be there the next time Word launches. It is worth noting that the Application Settings folder is hidden by default--so you won't be able to see it unless you choose the option to "Show hidden files and folders" in Windows Explorer's Tools...Folder Options...View menu item.

Jelinek will be eternally grateful.