Released in the fall of 2004, the 700m features a 12.1" widescreen display and a 1.6 GHz, 1.8 GHz, or 2.0 GHz Pentium M processor.

Can I upgrade this old computer

I have a Dell Inspiron 700 m with Windows XP which is running well. However, as Windows XP is no longer supported I am afraid to connect it to the internet. Is there anyway to upgrade this computer so I can run a more current version of Windows which would allow me to add anti virus software to safely connect to the intranet? Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the advice . I will check out the sites you recommended

@terrymcd biggest issue here will be the display driver. dell does not provide any approved ones for your model. There are work arounds so you could in thoery update to Win 7 at least. However you can upgrade your memory to max it out and also optimize your hard drive. Just because there is no longer support for Win XP does not mean you have to stop using it. You can get lots of anti virus for Win XP so you can safely connect online. Places like this and this one are a good start checking things out.

I would put linux on it, viruses won't be a problem, and it will run fast on old hardware.

Terry will be eternally grateful.