A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

Why is my PS4 so loud?

My PlayStation 4 fans seem to go into hyper drive after a few minutes of playing most games.

I regularly vacuum the exterior of the machine which does not help.

I presume I need to change the thermal paste or heatsink.

Is there an iFixit guide for this issue?

The PS4 can be tricky, especially since its so precisely engineered. Replacing the Thermal Paste may help, but the fan going hyper can also be a symptom of a bigger problem. I only recommend doing this if you have an ESD safe work surface, and are comfortable taking your PS4 apart.

You can find the guide to taking the PS4 apart here. Follow it until you remove the heat sink, then use this guide to remove the old thermal paste, and apply the new thermal paste.

Here is what you will need:

- Thermal Paste (Artic Alumina should be fine, but you can choose something higher-end if you want)

- 2 Step ArticClean solution for removing the old paste, and prepping the service for the new.

- iFixit 54-bit Screwdriver Kit (I like to recommend them over the 3rd-Party brands since they tend to last longer anyway, and they have a Lifetime Warranty on their tools.)

- Precision Tweezers for removing warranty stickers.

Bare in mind that if you do this, you will be voiding the warranty, if it hasn't expired already. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, have fun!

Electronics Skills Image

Guide

How to Apply Thermal Paste

Difficulty: Easy5 - 20 dakikalar

PlayStation 4 Motherboard Image

Guide

PlayStation 4 Motherboard Replacement

Difficulty: Moderate10 minuten

I replaced the fan as it was high pitched. At the same time I cleaned and removed thermal paste and applied new stuff. I put it together turned it on, fan was quiet. I then played dragon. Age inquis. And the PS4 ramped up like crazy , the screching sound was gone but it felt like the unit was working over drive. Evenl after an hour I got a message to shut it down as it was too hot. I have never received this. I gave it a rest and played next day it continued to run really loud, louder than it has previously.

Any ideas?

I follow both ifixit steps for replacing fan and thermal paste.

Pietro Di Meglio will be eternally grateful.