Internal keyboard and trackpad not working

I am currently using a Macbook Pro 13inch retina 2015.

So i usually use my mac in bootcamp for work purposes. I connect my macbook to an external HDMI monitor and a USB mouse and keyboard. It worked fine, until after awhile, i turned on my mac and the built-in keyboard and trackpad were not working. The only key working was the power key. I could not enter recovery mode or used any start up command keys since the keyboard was unresponsive. It only worked with my USB( logitech) external keyboard and mouse.

No trackpad was detected in system preferences. The weird thing is it still force shutdown when i enter combination: shift+control+option+power button (so the keyboard is kinda working). In some cases, when trying to log on, a bluetooth device search tab appears.

I went to the apple store to get it serviced. The technician reinstalled my OS and formatted Mac. the inbuilt keyboard and mouse worked. and after using my external keyboard and mouse, everything stopped working again. He did not really know the cause of this problem.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a hardware issue as stated above, the shift+control+option+power button still works. I think there may be some error or setting problems.

Note: i have never dropped fluid onto my laptop or dropped it

Would really appreciate any help to resolve this issue. Thanks

Most Helpful Answer

I know this is an old thread, but the above answer is incomplete. For posterity's sake:

The symptoms OP described are consistent with a faulty trackpad or trackpad cable. The 2015 model is engineered differently than previous ones. The trackpad is now a necessary part of the chain for the system to interpret keyboard input. Thus this model has an issue with the trackpad and keyboard going out together - unlike in the past where a failing trackpad or TP cable would affect the trackpad only.

I work in an Apple repair shop and for some reason have been seeing this issue a lot lately. As in the OP's case, I've seen that power button still works, and the SMC can still be reset while the machine is off. Possibly because the system is ignoring localization / character mapping information now stored in the trackpad, unlike when the machine is on.

I do think you are on the right track here Colin. I will tell you this though, I have a machine in my shop experiencing all the same problems and I was able to get one other command to function, Single-User mode. Once in that mode I was able to do two things:

1. Verify that the keyboard itself was fully functional and all keys were typing.

2. Run /sbin/fsck -fy, which did resolve all the issues afterwards. Currently I have not figured out why but I suspect the answer lies somewhere in that communication you are discussing.

The discussions on this topic might be able to help you:

Why did my internal keyboard and mouse suddenly stopped working?

Hi! I have exactly the same issue.

Sometimes it works, a lot of times not, it seems as it is getting worse.

@wisebeardy, is it a problem with cables/connectors or something else?

Thanks,

Gregor

Yes - so far, replacing the trackpad cable and/or trackpad itself addresses the issue.

I have the problem with Trackpad and Keyboard not working on a customer's a1502.. Before I go replacing any ribbon cable(s) for a Trackpad or otherwise, can ANYONE answer this..?

Why do both Keyboard and Trackpad work flawlessly outside of Sierra.? Pick ANY Linux distribution - I have 5-7 variants - and boot up to find KB and Trackpad ALWAYS working, ALL the time, without stopping or failing to work..

Fresh reload of Sierra, same thing. A couple of software updates and they worked, but stopped working again.. Boot to Linux, zero problems... Thx

rickythen will be eternally grateful.