Shutting down when plugged in.

When I plugged in to the outlet, the screen says ,"All functions will be disabled" then it says" Stand by on/off resume". Then it shuts down.

Is it plugged into a outlet controlled by a light switch? If so , make sure the switch is on. I have done this.

I have done this also, but the printer wouldn't come alive at all.

Had exactly this problem on a 3 year old MFC-J6920DW today - found a solution elsewhere on the net:

Remove power cord and wait 30 seconds. Then remove paper trays. Reconnect power cord and switch on at the wall. Wait for printer to boot (and complain about lack of trays). Reinstall paper trays.

All up and working now!

Fixed problem immediately. (problem started with an inadvertent unplugging of the machine)Did not have to hold power button after plugging back in with trays removed, but some had suggested that. If this hadn't worked, i would have tried removing trays and holding the power button till the music stopped.

Fixed the problem right away! Thank you so much! Gary

Followed instructions about moving paper tray and everything now works. Thanks so much. Janine

03/05/2017: Followed instructions about removing paper trays; plugged in; printer rebooted automatically, then requested insertion of paper trays. All is great now. THANKS!!

I had this issue too and tried several "fixes" without success. I was afraid my printer was hopelessly dead. And, frankly, I had little faith in this suggestion - but it worked!!! I'm back in business and very grateful that someone presented this solution.

Top Man, Stupid question does anyone know why its doing it?

Thanks again, Dave

Fe will be eternally grateful.