Repair for speakers, stereos, header units, and CD players for your car or truck.

Why does My pioneer radio turn on and off

I have a question why does my pioneer avh-x6700dvd turns on plays for like 3minutes then turns off and turns on again I check for cables touching,ground wire,fuses and nothing I think it might b the radio is their anything I could do or anywhere I could take it to get it fix

i have this same problem but its with a AVH-X1700S

I have the same Problem with AVH1300NEX. Powers Off, then back on and remains fine ,Until I restart the engine. Happens every time, and the exact same Time frame after engine start. Pioneer said Might be a Firmware Issue.. Also had an Issue getting the steering wheel controls to work. ( Had to re flash the Metra Adapter.

I have the same problem on AVH-X2750BT . I tryed checking all connentions including all ribbon wires inside the unit i also did a firmware update ver 8.53 but none that worked .Is there a software update i can try ?

Does it happen when the car is stationary? Does it happen with the engine off? Do you have any problems with other circuits in the car that are fed off the accessories power e.g. cigarette lighter, power windows etc?

If it only happens to the radio with the engine on and more when you are driving it sounds like there is a loose connection or dry soldered joint in the power supply for the radio or in the radio.

You might have to connect a test lamp or DMM (digital Multimeter -Voltmeter function) to the power feed where it goes into the radio itself (or as close to the radio as you can get) to prove whether the problem is with the power into the radio or it is in the radio itself, i.e. either the power is on all the time at the radio power input point or it comes and goes.

If it is with the feed to the radio you need to check the wiring path from the radio fuse in the fuse block right through to the radio itself.

It may be for instance a loose connection at the rear of the fuse in the fuse block.

What type of fuse is installed? If it is a knife blade type check that the female connection point in the fuse block looks OK and that it has enough tension on the fuse. If it is a glass type fuse, again is it tight in the fuse holder, have you tried a different fuse of the same rating?

I have the same problem. There is power to the unit but the flip screen won't open or the whole radio has no power. I believe that it has something to do with the flip screen. AVH-X6700DVD Is there any way The flip screen can be fixed in the open position? I think this may solve the problem. I had this same problem with two other flip screen units, and was told they couldn't be fixed. This is in an RV and does not get daily use.

Hi @tlb

First , how long have you had the unit? If less than 12 months there is still a manufacturer's warranty on it.

If the whole radio has no power and you say that there is power at the unit, then if it is out of warranty the best thing to do is open the unit and see if there is either a fuse in the unit that may have blown, or any obvious sign of component failure like a burnt out resistor etc. If you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter) and know how to read circuit diagrams there are service manuals for the unit available online but unfortunately you have to buy them.

I have the same problem... but mine is a Lil different... if you switch on the radio the powers comes on, but as soon as you leave the on and off switch button, it goes off again by itself. What might be the problem

Hi @ Elton Ipinge,

I don't know your radio but if it has a push to turn on / push to turn off ON/OFF button, it may be that the button itself is faulty, in that the button contacts are made when you push it in to turn on the radio but do not stay operated when you remove your finger.

If your radio is no longer under warranty I suggest that you remove the radio and open it up to test the button's operation using a DMM's Ohmmeter function (Digital Multimeter) to prove that the button contacts stay operated when the button is pushed in and then disconnect when the button is pushed again.

I suggest an Ohmmeter as the whole button including contacts may be encased and therefore you cannot actually 'see' the contacts but have to prove it electrically, using an Ohmmeter to test for continuity through the contacts, most probably where they are connected to the circuit board. Do this with the power disconnected from the radio.

I have a problem with my 1999 porsche boxster. The radio comes on then immediately off at start up. After driving a few minutes it will turn on when I hit the brakes, use a turn signal, hit the power windows or just by itself. BUT it also happens with other accessories; like my electric convertible top won't work, door open alarm won't chine, seat belt alarm also.. Fuses seem okay, but I'm so lost on finding the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having a similar issues I had a pioneer radio the Bluetooth setting vanished, the radio was replaced with another pioneer than a day later would switch off automatically wouldn't switch back on until by itself approximately 20 minutes later but then would stay off again. Had this changed to a Sony radio now doing exactly the same.

I have a somewhat similar question about my pioneer bluetooth car stereo. My audio shuts on and off going down the road. It makes a like scratching noise then it'll shut off then turn back on. Ive tried fuses,pulling the radio out and checking the connections, checking speaker connections,ect but it still continues to do the same thing. I have no ideas anymore.

Hi, I have been having a similar problem. I had the Pioneer DEH installed in my 2001 Grand Chrokee almost 2 years ago at a local best buy. A few months ago, I turned my car on and the radio appeared to be dead. No sounds, no lights or anything. After driving for 45 minutes it began working again. I had no issues until a few months later when it would die in the middle of driving and immediately come back on. It would do this several times. It has evolved into staying off and coming on for anywhere from a second to a few minutes. I wanted to check out some forums before I take it back and pay Best Buy to fix it.

Try bypassing the pioneer fuse/resistors in the pioneer wiring harness and then if it fixes your problem replacing it with a new harness from ebay,it fixed my problem

Can you send the link with the exact one you purchased on ebay?

I'm having the same issue with my deck turning off for hours then just coming back in randomly. I have noticed that if I unplug the antenna and plug it back in the power comes on right away. This requires me to have my dash ripped apart so not a great solution. My deck is a pioneer

Hi , I have a old silver Vauxhall tigra , 2000 , it's cassette by the way , over the past few months my stereo has a mind of its own , keeps coming on without being near the car , I've even gone to it in the morning and it's playing away , no problems starting !

I couldn't take it anymore so have had a new one fitted to day , but I'm worried the new one will do the same , so I kept the front off , as it's got lights and everything on it So would it use more power with all that on it I'm worried it will kill my battery ,

Francisco will be eternally grateful.