Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Upgrade screen to MacBook Pro 2013 Retina screen

Howdy!

I've done a fair bit of research the last few days, as it turns out both the 2012 non-retina and the 2013 Retina MacBook pro seems to share the same 30-pin connector for the display in roughly the same place on the motherboard.

My questions is, if I were to do this would the higher res retina screen work and be able to run in native res?

Nice profile pic.

Sorry no, not doable! The pinouts are very different.

Besides all you'll see is a smaller image as it will down scale to the 1280x800 not the native 2560x1600 retina size.

Is there any either apple or after market display with a higher res that would work with MBP 2012 13"?

unfortunately not i agree with Dan ;) this would probably not even work anyway as the 2012 model's GPU would not be able to handle retina, and if it could it would be sketchy, and unreliable. now if you plug into an external monitor you could get a better, bigger picture

Hey, after doing some research, I discovered and heard of people that installed the retina version of the MBP lcd screen and it worked! but the airport connectors were different so they had to change it. I've been looking for retina LCDs for the late 2012 model to fit in the mid 2012 mbp. I found a Retina display without iSight camera or antennas or back aluminum, so I think that if I can split MBP glass off the screen and change only the lcd, it would actually work.

I'm only lacking of money to spend on this project. Is there any way to get funds?

And for the firmware, I found an app called SwitchResX that forces OS X to display at 2560x1600. I think that with an external screen I can force the internal screen to show up as I want and turn it on.

Filiph Sandstrom will be eternally grateful.