Complete disassembly and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.

Why do screens keep separating

I have recently started an iphone screen repair business,. I'm having problems finding a supplier based on the fact that I don't need to buy screens in large numbers at the moment so am buying screens from ebay.

I only buy good quality screens from users who have sold thousands of units, I make sure I am buying 100% brand new and tested. But.... I've had a couple of incidents where I've fitted a screen and then within a short time period I've been called back because the screen has started to 'lift' away from the LCD, when this happens I have to replace the screen free.

Is it just bad luck and does this sometimes happen, is it poor qualify screen (even though I believe I'm buying good quality) or is there some other factor.

Advise from more experience repairers would be great and even recommendations on reputable sellers of screens. I don't want to get disheartened so early on but it's getting annoying because I think I'm doing everything right and then things like this crop up.

Thank you

Everything on eBay or Amazon screen wise is absolute trash, all the low quality parts go on there, you may get lucky sometimes and get a good quality part, but 99% of the stuff on there is trash.

Most of these poor quality screens use HMG on the frame (Hot Melt Glue) and these are initially strong, but fail shortly after, like you're experiencing.

Originals use CPG (Cold Press Glue) this is extremely strong and lasts, there are even suppliers that sell copy screens with cold pressed frames, so there's not much excuse today really.

Find a good supplier, and you should be ok then. :-)

-EDIT-

Also, check that you don't have any bent housings or dented corners and sides, as this can also cause the screen to pop out, but it mainly comes down to poor quality screens.

Hi Sue, great question! Ged is right, it is very hard to find high quality screens on Amazon/eBay. He has laid out the issue perfectly- you want to find a supplier that uses Cold Press Glue. There certainly are some quality screens on those sites, but it can be very hit-and-miss. Additionally, you likely don't have any recourse if/when those parts fail. I would recommend checking out a more reputable domestic wholesale supplier that has some sort of warranty.

I actually work on the iFixit Pro team. iFixit Pro is our support network for repair professionals such as yourself. We offer wholesale pricing on parts and tools, a professionals-only forum, LCD Buyback and the iFixit Mastertech Certification. As you indicated above, many wholesale programs aren't friendly to repairers purchasing in small amounts. Our program, though, has no minimums and no fee to join. In addition, we offer a lifetime warranty on our products, so if any of our products are defective, we'll send you a replacement or process your refund. We also source Cold Press screens :)

Here is a link to check out iFixit Pro : http://pro.ifixit.com/#pro. Joining is free and takes about two minutes. We want to make sure you are supported in your repairing efforts. Feel free to reach out to me directly with any further questions at pro@ifixit.com. Happy fixing!

Thank you for your response, I have just joined. I am based in the UK, do you have a UK distributor or area all orders sent from US?

We do have an office in Stuttgart, Germany. All orders placed via the EU store will be sent from that location.

Here is an article which explains why iPhone screen separate from the frame.

Susan will be eternally grateful.