Toshiba Laptop

Laptops manufactured by Toshiba.

Powers up but black screen

My laptop powers up, but the screen is black.

It works for me but it won't stay for long powered on... It blacks out again :/

Any suggestions??

by nemesis

MY SON'S SUGGESTION...IT WORKED FOR ME!....Try taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then press shift, F8, and the power button at the same time

by winifred gray

Thank you so much!!! I'm going to pass this on to everyone I know. I don't know what caused it to do this in the first place. I'm just happy it worked and I didn't spend hours taking it apart and fixing it

by phynadi

The battery thing did not work for me.

by rk

Taking the battery out/f8/shift/power worked for me today! Thank you!!!!!!!

by kjohnsonwes

Hook up an external monitor to determine if you have a logic board or LCD problem If the external monitor works the trouble is with the display or its cables. You should also double check that your memory is properly installed and you may want to replace your bios battery. I have included a link for teardown of your unit. Good luck.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/to...

+ good

by mayer

It worked thank u

by joeandelidagarcia

it worked yepi yepi :) :) :)

by sisanda voko

IT WORKED FOR ME TOO! (pressing shift, F8, and the power button at the same time). But WHY did it happen in the first place????!

by Di

what if sir dont work to external monitor?

by jerick jay

Most Helpful Answer

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. Replace the battery. If this does not work, try it again up to four times. No results usually indicates a bad mother board. Hope this helps.

Wow, worked like a charm! I can get my assignment turned in!!!!

by Jeff

Thank you !!!! Fixed it on the first try :D

by Lindsy Chatterton

I have a Toshiba laptop that was powering up, but the screen would not turn on. this method fixed the problem on the first try!

by Mark Maloy

it worked!.. thank you dude...

by Sachnie Zaballero

Add my thanks to the above!! Took only one time!! Sure is great to get such terrific assistance online!!

by cdlaughlin

For those of you with a laptop that does not have a removable battery, this might help. Hold down the power button to shut off the computer, but DON'T TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF THE POWER BUTTON. Hold it there for about 60 seconds more, and then remove your finger. Then, press the power button again to turn the computer on. I did this, and it worked for me :)

effectively: what other people have said...

by Bob

Thank you so much, it worked for my, Toshiba Satellite L50-A.

by npdang

This worked. Thank you.

by syr

I worked!!!

Thank you sooo much.

by scarletxd58

It dide t work now is just blowibg air

by Geri Ymer

see comment No beeps, no post just Black Screen

the one by oldturkey above worked for me! :)

by neil

Did a lot of searching, and by crikey oldturkey's one worked for me too just now. Seems bizarre, almost like voodoo, but this seemed like the easiest solution from all the other ones I found to try.

Note: my wife pulled the battery out and it still didn't work, but I followed those instructions exactly and it's perfect now first time!

by Martin Russell

I thought it might be over for my laptop but I tried what oldturkey03 suggested and it worked on my first attempt. If you still check this post, thanks a bunch oldturkey03.

Monkies4kids

by uilani bourgeois

oldturkey03's method worked perfect for me. However, the windows seems to have a problem loading up, the system probably fell. Installed a new copy and is working fine now, thank you.

by amr ossama

I did as above old turkey o3, worked first time, I had been working on my daughters toshiba for a few hours went away , came back and blank screen. Even after forcing shut down still nothing. I thought a trip to the computer shop was in order!! But thought I'd google the problem and was directed to here and the rest is history back up and running so so easy thank you old turkey03

by Trina

Ive seen something similar on a newer model, an L55. I am a computer repair professional. I too am seeking a resolution through Toshiba, but have found a short-term fix.

Support wants the laptop sent in, and customers bring me the laptops in fear that they will lose their data if they send the computer back. Every time this has happened, I have been able to fix it by pulling off the back cover and resetting CMOS with the small black button near the CR2032 CMOS battery. I would like an answer from Toshiba on why this is happening.

Your tip of removing the battery and discharging capacitance by holding down the power button would normally suffice, but this model does not have a removable battery... Stupidest thing ive ever seen.

Help me ii dont know what is going on with my laptop. it wont start. and i need advice on how to fix it! thx.

by raymond chew

I also have this type of problem where power on the screen is blank or black.

What I did was to press Fn (Function key) and F5 at the same time. After pressing it for some times my laptop boot.

It works for me.

Try it and give feedback.

K49 AMBO

it helps!! thank you so much!! now all I got to do is make sure this won't happen again!! thank you again!

by merashtwins

Stupid question what is a Function key

by Tiffany Askew

I got my laptop back 3rd time round. 1. was screen 2nd was motherboard 3rd was Harddrive. After putting everything back into Toshiba Laptop everything seemed fine until I switched it off. Later when restarting keyboard lit up but screen black. I tried all the methods above until FN F5 idea and it came to life. 1 thing is for certain...Toshiba Satellite is a dud or I was unlucky to get that 1 oddball that just gives problems. mustve been the laptop that was last job on a Friday knockoff. cheers K49 AMBO.

by Dan Lee

Here's what worked for me. It might work if your case is the same as me: the screen was displaying but very dimly, and I could see the desktop or whatever lighting it with a flashlight. Look closely, and if that's the case, the problem must be your backlight.

I tried the trick with the power buttton but nothing happened, and the oldturkey-joel method involves disassembilng, which I don't dare to do.

Try what I (accidentally) did: connect your laptop to an external monitor, and with its aid activate the laptop's cammera. Only this turned the backlight on again in my Toshiba Satellite L45. I hope it works on your machine as well!

my toshiba ic650 is turning black with only cursor working no above solution is working

I had this same problem. After reading many threads and blogs. I learned to unplug my laptop and hold the power button for half a minute. Then take out the battery. Do the same thing. Then plug it all back in and try powering on again. This worked a few times but then it stopped working.

After screwing around with my laptop I began to think that maybe it was just overheating. I lifted my laptop up and blew as hard as I could into the air intake for the fan. Then powered up and it has worked every time.

You're welcome.

I am using Lenovo g580 and I tried dual boot my windows with win10 and Ubuntu. The dual boot process was successful but now the screen is black. The lights are getting on and the processor fan is also working but the screen remains black.

I tried all the above process except dissembling because I don't have equipments to open my laptop. Any help appreciated.

Thank you

Thank you. It is on now. I fixed it using the "pressing the power button and then plugging-in and then switching on process". Thank you very much.

by Rashid Akhtar

But I have a problem which I am facing from past one week. After I switch of my laptop the screen goes black but the processor remains on and the fan keeps rotating and it eats up all my battery. In the morning when I wake up only to find my laptop fully discharged.

Any help, appreciated.

Thank you

by Rashid Akhtar

If you have a charger cord plug it in and leave it on over night... It helps coz it will always remain on 100% battery

by Chloe Stone

Hi there,

I have same problem with my Toshiba Sattelite laptop, it started about 4 months ago, and sometimes happening, yesterday and an hour ago happened again.

sometimes it takes half a day to but then it has to restore the laptop, and sometimes like today it just talk few minutes. Same as everyone else I tried everything, removing battery, pluging or unpluging power, but it's just annoying to deal with it like that all the time.

While I was searching on the internet i came a crose on to toshiba forum and this is what they replied to the person who had same problem. " your laptop or screen lamp/light is dead/dying". and also there were some links to ebay and amazon to buy the things, it was around of £3, £5 and simmilar.

My laptop can't use the keyboard and mouse, starts automatic repair, but suddenly it goes to black screen, the tip with the 60 sec. Holding the power button didn't work, my IT teacher sayed to leave it that way for a night and will repair itself, if don't try ir again and again no other solution... a friend told me to remove bios batteey for 1 min than put it back... Can someone give and advice what to do? Praying to start itself or do something about it ?

I think it happened after updating win 8.1

Yes mine did that after updating windows 8.1, do you have any solution ?

by Mohd Hawere

I have had the same problem on a one week old Toshiba C850 - turning the power of and taking the battery out sorted this.

I have an toshiba a505 s6980 and I'm experiencing the black scrand een i tries all suggestion but none worked when it boot up i only see the toshiba sign but that's it and i dont have a reset disk and i cant get in the log in.or nothing at all its really frustrating. plsssssss hellpppppppp

My screen is completely black no light at all but the computer power light is on and the laptop is making a nosie so i Know that its working any idea apart from the above as to how to get the screen to work ? help would be great as its not my (toshiba) laptop

Try taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then press shift, F8, and the power button at the same time

by winifred gray

what if the battery does not come out- how do i get rid of black screen c-55 model you have unscrew the whole laptop

by sharon

That whole taking the battery out and holding the power button "trick" doesn't work at all. I still get a black screen no matter how many times I try and do this "wonderful trick" that supposedly works. Pfft!

by Megan M

Cant find old turkeys answer, can somebody re post?

I can't locate oldturkey03's answer either....please help!

by winifred gray

your a dick, that reverses the polarity of the hard drive, why would you tell people to do that.

As I had bought my Toshiba Laptop last April and it gave me a shock three weeks ago when the screen was blank when I turned it on, I phoned Toshiba and go Technical help from them.

I had to remove the battery and make sure that the laptop was not connected to the mains. I then had to hold the power switch for four seconds, after which I then turned the main power on and pressed the on switch of the laptop. Hey Pesto it worked. If you have a Toshiba laptop try this.

Good Luck

pressed F1 waited after restart. and said battery problem. F1 continue F2 setup. i just pressed F1. restarted windows and gave me option to make recovery disc's .

tho windows is running smooth. it did confirm windows op was original.may i add it had been off for over 3years..lol

Method : 1

a. Unplug the power

b. Remove the Battery

c. Press and Hold the Power Button for 1 minute

d. Refix the battery & Power

e. Now Switch on ur laptop it will work

[ If the Above Method is not Worked pl. follow my method 2 ]

Method : 2

a. Go to Google Search

b. Download the youtube how to disassemble ur laptop model

[ Ex:- How to disassemble Hp Pavillion Dv6000 youtube ]

c. Watch the Youtube carefully & Disassembly ur laptop

d. Remove the Processor , Ram , Cmos Battery & Clean the Fan

e. Wait for atleast 12 hrs [ i Fixed after 24 hrs]

f. Now Refix all & reassemble ur Laptop

g. Switch on ur Laptop [ 100% it will work ]

Gud Luck..! After u succeeded Comment me

Hi have a nice Day..!

it seems 100% RAM . so pl check ur RAM / test with new RAM.

Good Luck ..!

by sebastian nixon

My Laptop Model Number is L850, Now Problem Power Light is ok , but Screen Black. What i can do? please let me know. Thanks

Method : 1

a. Unplug the power

b. Remove the Battery

d. Refix the battery & Power

e. Now Switch on ur laptop it will work

Method : 2

a. Go to Google Search

f. Now Refix all & reassemble ur Laptop

http://laptopnproblem.blogspot.in/2015/0...

My toshiba satellite laptop has a black screen of death? I can't see anything on the screen at all but the mouse light and everything stills works, but the screen is black. I tried all the methods and it is still not working at all. Before the black screen, I was on the internet and this suddenly happened. HELPPP.

Hi have a nice Day..! it seems 100% RAM . so pl check ur RAM / test with new RAM. Good Luck ..!

by sebastian nixon

If after holding down the power button for 30 seconds still didn't work so you have a hardware problem, no worry here is 2 Method explained to solve this hardware solution

...have an old M-115. Been rock solid all these years (with only needing to replace the original HDD back in '09) until about a week ago when this began to occur. The screen goes blank, with no cursor about ten minutes or so after it has completely booted up. I can see it is lit so it is still getting power, just nothing else.

Tried a couple of the suggestions above (save for taking everything apart as I don't want to mess anything up) yet the issue still occurs. Don't know where the BIOS battery that is spoken about is located as the only covers I see that can be opened (without dismantling the entire system) are the access ones for the memory and HDD, and of course the main battery.

tried everything minus dismantling whole computer.. black screen is all i see.

i am a computer tech. as far as i can see if those simple fixes dont work taking it to a professional may be the only way.. just dont let them say motherboard is bad sorry.. they are lazy and didnt want to put that much work 4 the quote they gave u 99% of the time

i have an HP laptop tried taking the battery out pressing F8 continuly still nothing, i usually just log off now and its ok but if i actually shut down it can take up to 2 hours to get the HP sign on. i would have thought if motherboard wouldn't it have give up the ghost by now just don't understand whats wrong usually when i get it on it goes to repair or just log on tried repair but nothing happens

by joan

This shouldn't happen - my Toshiba L50 laptop is less than a week old and I have this black screen and not re starting already. Surely there must be something wrong with the device. I am thinking of taking it back and changing for an HP.

I have a small electronics repair shop out of my home and just yesterday checked in a third Toshiba machine with this same problem: failed GPU. Cause: overheating.

Each owner has said the same thing: over the past few months, every once in a while the screen stayed black during boot-up, but a restart or something similar like removing the battery, letting it sit overnight, or power-cycling made it boot correctly. Eventually nothing would help and they brought their laptops in for repair.

On the first machine I had to troubleshoot for quite a while before determining the issue, including everything mentioned here in this thread, until finally deciding to replace the mobo over re-soldering the GPU (which I incorrectly assumed was my only option). On the second unit I reflowed using a hairdryer, followed by my kitchen oven. Big job. Didn't want to have to do that with this machine, so I'm borrowing a heat gun tomorrow and using this procedure found on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP2QOXNM...

(Warning: rated PG due to mild cursing)

This is a known issue with the laptops in this line and while one of the other suggestions might work and solve your specific problem, be on the watch for the graphics to eventually die due to dust and/or heat buildup in the future. It's HIGHLY recommended to use a cooling pad under these systems (some of the Toshiba User Manuals even go so far as to tell you that you NEED to use one rather than just SUGGEST it.) and to periodically tear-down and clean out the inside around the heatsink, fan, etc. You'll find the dustier or dirtier your normal environment, the more often you'll need to do it---at least twice per year is a good start, especially if you own pets that shed.

If you would like a copy of my t-shoot list to rule out all the other possible problems that can cause the black screen of doom, message me and I'll be glad to share it. Otherwise, assume your machine needs the gpu reflowed and don't trash it!

The hard disk, OS, screen, etc. are all still fine and in working order (unless you've inadvertently pressed the appropriate keys and don't something to the bios or something weird like that.)

IMO, Toshibas are good machines. I still have my original with Windows 95 on it! I own several models and have found, with the proper maintenance, that they'll last well past 10 years. (Believe it or not, I've found that Dells and Acers are the next best performers among abusive users. LOL.) Every manufacturer has weaknesses: none are perfect. Don't expect to not have issues with electronics because you'll always end up disappointed. Heat, dust and mishandling are the three biggest killers.

Good luck - I hope this helps some of you.

Mary

~Psalm 103~

I have been told that you should shut the screen or else it won't work... IS THAT CORRECT... HELLLPPPPPPP.... my laptop sits down after every 5 mins when I'm not playing so how am I supposed to leave it on? Plz help I'm desperate

by Chloe Stone

Problem Solved

Even i had the same problem.....my laptop was powering up along with the exhaust fan (at max speed) but the display was not coming. I noticed that there was a leakage current in all my ports(USB,Projector etc). So i took a wire and shorted the surrounding metal of projector port (that is supposed to be the ground of projector port) with the earth (in my case the earth was the metal table on which my laptop was kept). Then while doing so i started my laptop and fortunately this worked for me and the display started working.

Shift+F8+power worked after a couple of attempts. Thank you!!!!!!!

none of these help me I have a hp G71 and it wont let me turn on or do anything

ihaveatoshiba laptop but it appears black. i tried the first 4 methods still didnt work.safemodeis working can take aps in taskmanager but display isblack.any solutions please help now

I have a Toshiba Satellite L10W. The BIOS start as I get the "TOSHIBA lEADING iNNOVATION" bANNER AT LAPTOP STARTUP. That remained on for about 1 minte, then it blinked and the banner reappeared for 2 seconds and then I get the screen, which backlit, becase I can alter the screen intensity. I have tried all the solutions stated above; the pushing the switch off for 60 secs, the Shift F8 and on/off switch, the auxiliary (extended desktop) monitor, all to no avail. The only thing I have not done is to open the laptop (so I have not tried taking the battery out).

Can anyone help pls

In the past, I have first checked the contrast (I knew that it was nt the power because it powered on). That didn't work! So I tried removing the battery for about 5 mins put it back in....Still didn't work! After that I decided to connect the black screen laptop to my desktop monitor and VIOLA'! It worked. In the end it turned out to be my laptop's backlight. Thankful to be a IT student, entry level in my career so far & I was capable to fix/replace the backlight myself.

Now I have a laptop screen (Unfortunately mines again) thats cracked & I need to replace the screen. My BFF is also having a Blackscreen issue. I helped her troubleshoot a few times via phone & nothing was working. She does not have another monitor to test it on so my next step, I told her that I will be over w/ my monitor or laptop & cable & try that.

Hope that this helps! :-)

None of the previous suggestions worked. My laptop is on and only blowing air.

Hi I have a Toshiba satellite U50D-A laptop and when i put the charger plug in and try charging the laptop nothing happens! However, the little lights are on the front of the laptop indicates its charging but nothing happens! the light goes from orange to white and when i press the on button those lights turn off and nothing happens! Is this the internal battery causing the issue? I cant take the battery out because its one whole unit! Please help?

by Emma

@ems this could be a static discharge problem. Unplug the laptop and remove the battery then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release and do it again for another 60 secs then put the battery in and plug in the laptop and try powering it on . Let me know if this doesn't work and we can go from there and try something else

by Jimfixer

My brand new hp laptop has this problem, once or twice in a month, holding the power button method works, but should I go and get an exchange? Is the problem serious enough to worth the hassle?

Janet will be eternally grateful.

Past 24 Hours: 1,155