0

Janet
1

Powers up but black screen

My laptop powers up, but the screen is black.

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , oldturkey03, machead3, and mayer ( )

It works for me but it won't stay for long powered on... It blacks out again :/ Any suggestions??

nemesis,

MY SON'S SUGGESTION...IT WORKED FOR ME!....Try taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then press shift, F8, and the power button at the same time

winifred gray,

3

rj713

Hook up an external monitor to determine if you have a logic board or LCD problem If the external monitor works the trouble is with the display or its cables. You should also double check that your memory is properly installed and you may want to replace your bios battery. I have included a link for teardown of your unit. Good luck.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/to...

7

Chuck
91

The "black screen of death" is usually very easy to repair on a laptop. First turn your computer off by pressing and holding down the start button. Next unplug the computer and then remove the battery. Press and hold down the start button for about 60 seconds. Release the button and plug in the computer. Press the start button and the display should return. Replace the battery. If this does not work, try it again up to four times. No results usually indicates a bad mother board. Hope this helps.

Wow, worked like a charm! I can get my assignment turned in!!!!

Jeff,

Thank you !!!! Fixed it on the first try :D

Lindsy Chatterton,

I have a Toshiba laptop that was powering up, but the screen would not turn on. this method fixed the problem on the first try!

Mark Maloy,

it worked!.. thank you dude...

Sachnie Zaballero,

Add my thanks to the above!! Took only one time!! Sure is great to get such terrific assistance online!!

cdlaughlin,

2

the one by oldturkey above worked for me! :)

neil,

Did a lot of searching, and by crikey oldturkey's one worked for me too just now. Seems bizarre, almost like voodoo, but this seemed like the easiest solution from all the other ones I found to try. Note: my wife pulled the battery out and it still didn't work, but I followed those instructions exactly and it's perfect now first time!

Martin Russell,

I thought it might be over for my laptop but I tried what oldturkey03 suggested and it worked on my first attempt. If you still check this post, thanks a bunch oldturkey03. Monkies4kids

uilani bourgeois,

oldturkey03's method worked perfect for me. However, the windows seems to have a problem loading up, the system probably fell. Installed a new copy and is working fine now, thank you.

amr ossama,

I did as above old turkey o3, worked first time, I had been working on my daughters toshiba for a few hours went away , came back and blank screen. Even after forcing shut down still nothing. I thought a trip to the computer shop was in order!! But thought I'd google the problem and was directed to here and the rest is history back up and running so so easy thank you old turkey03

Trina,

0

Pablo
1

Here's what worked for me. It might work if your case is the same as me: the screen was displaying but very dimly, and I could see the desktop or whatever lighting it with a flashlight. Look closely, and if that's the case, the problem must be your backlight.

I tried the trick with the power buttton but nothing happened, and the oldturkey-joel method involves disassembilng, which I don't dare to do.

Try what I (accidentally) did: connect your laptop to an external monitor, and with its aid activate the laptop's cammera. Only this turned the backlight on again in my Toshiba Satellite L45. I hope it works on your machine as well!

0

Shirin
1

Hi there,

I have same problem with my Toshiba Sattelite laptop, it started about 4 months ago, and sometimes happening, yesterday and an hour ago happened again.

sometimes it takes half a day to but then it has to restore the laptop, and sometimes like today it just talk few minutes. Same as everyone else I tried everything, removing battery, pluging or unpluging power, but it's just annoying to deal with it like that all the time.

While I was searching on the internet i came a crose on to toshiba forum and this is what they replied to the person who had same problem. " your laptop or screen lamp/light is dead/dying". and also there were some links to ebay and amazon to buy the things, it was around of £3, £5 and simmilar.

0

Jason
1

Ive seen something similar on a newer model, an L55. I am a computer repair professional. I too am seeking a resolution through Toshiba, but have found a short-term fix.

Support wants the laptop sent in, and customers bring me the laptops in fear that they will lose their data if they send the computer back. Every time this has happened, I have been able to fix it by pulling off the back cover and resetting CMOS with the small black button near the CR2032 CMOS battery. I would like an answer from Toshiba on why this is happening.

Your tip of removing the battery and discharging capacitance by holding down the power button would normally suffice, but this model does not have a removable battery... Stupidest thing ive ever seen.

0

K49 AMBO
1

I also have this type of problem where power on the screen is blank or black.

What I did was to press Fn (Function key) and F5 at the same time. After pressing it for some times my laptop boot.

It works for me.

Try it and give feedback.

K49 AMBO

0

daredevil1510
1

My laptop can't use the keyboard and mouse, starts automatic repair, but suddenly it goes to black screen, the tip with the 60 sec. Holding the power button didn't work, my IT teacher sayed to leave it that way for a night and will repair itself, if don't try ir again and again no other solution... a friend told me to remove bios batteey for 1 min than put it back... Can someone give and advice what to do? Praying to start itself or do something about it ?

0

daredevil1510
1

I think it happened after updating win 8.1

Yes mine did that after updating windows 8.1, do you have any solution ?

Mohd Hawere,

0

markjatkinson
1

I have had the same problem on a one week old Toshiba C850 - turning the power of and taking the battery out sorted this.

0

xXxPTVxX
1

I have an toshiba a505 s6980 and I'm experiencing the black scrand een i tries all suggestion but none worked when it boot up i only see the toshiba sign but that's it and i dont have a reset disk and i cant get in the log in.or nothing at all its really frustrating. plsssssss hellpppppppp

0

Clay Adams
1

My screen is completely black no light at all but the computer power light is on and the laptop is making a nosie so i Know that its working any idea apart from the above as to how to get the screen to work ? help would be great as its not my (toshiba) laptop

Try taking out the battery and putting it back in. Then press shift, F8, and the power button at the same time

winifred gray,

0

Semma
1

Cant find old turkeys answer, can somebody re post?

I can't locate oldturkey03's answer either....please help!

winifred gray,

0

drpankajp11
1

my toshiba ic650 is turning black with only cursor working no above solution is working

0

rod
1

your a dick, that reverses the polarity of the hard drive, why would you tell people to do that.

0

kathleenneuen
1

As I had bought my Toshiba Laptop last April and it gave me a shock three weeks ago when the screen was blank when I turned it on, I phoned Toshiba and go Technical help from them.

I had to remove the battery and make sure that the laptop was not connected to the mains. I then had to hold the power switch for four seconds, after which I then turned the main power on and pressed the on switch of the laptop. Hey Pesto it worked. If you have a Toshiba laptop try this.

Good Luck

0

Andrew Scott
1

pressed F1 waited after restart. and said battery problem. F1 continue F2 setup. i just pressed F1. restarted windows and gave me option to make recovery disc's .

tho windows is running smooth. it did confirm windows op was original.may i add it had been off for over 3years..lol

0

Kelly Morris
1

I had this same problem. After reading many threads and blogs. I learned to unplug my laptop and hold the power button for half a minute. Then take out the battery. Do the same thing. Then plug it all back in and try powering on again. This worked a few times but then it stopped working.

After screwing around with my laptop I began to think that maybe it was just overheating. I lifted my laptop up and blew as hard as I could into the air intake for the fan. Then powered up and it has worked every time.

You're welcome.

This Week: 1,552

This Month: 1,905