Camera won't power on

This happened suddenly, there was no water damage or shock damage. When pressing the power button the camera clicks but the screen does not turn on. When holding the power button the screen flashes rhythmically, but does not properly turn on. The camera chargers with no problem, photos transfer to the computer with no problem. When plugged into the charger or computer the screen works fine as usual, but when unplugged won't turn on. What could be the problem?

From your description it sounds as though the camera's battery is failing to hold its charge and is probably failing.

This seems to be confirmed by you saying that it works OK with the charger connected or when it is connected to a PC.

Try installing a new battery. (Fully charge it before using the camera)

Even rechargeable batteries have a life span.

I bought a replacement battery, however it did not fix the problem. I'm able to turn the camera on, and get to the initial setting screen for time and date, but the screen goes black (doesn't shut off, just black) after that, just once I was able to get it to show pictures on the memory card, but only for a few seconds. The camera does not shut off with the power button, I need to remove the battery to shut it off. Is there anything else I can do?

Hi @oly

Just verifying that the battery charges OK when you connect the charging cable to the camera. Does the indicator light come on when you charge the battery and/or do you get a battery error message on the screen if you turn the camera on?

Hi jayeff, thank you for following up. Yes the light turns red when I plug in the camera, and green when the charge is complete, and the battery charging icon appears on the screen as per usual. This works for both the original and the replacement battery. There has not been a battery error message at any point.

You said originally that there is no problem when you use the camera with the charging cable connected. Is this still correct? Because I am now wondering, when you use it with the battery only and it fails, does it show the level of charge in the battery when you reconnect the charging cable and switch on the camera or only that it is charging? If so what is the level of charge shown when it starts charging? Also how long does it take to charge?

There are two thoughts here.

1. Battery is not being fully charged even though it says it is.

2. Something is discharging the battery very quickly.

The way to prove this is if you have access to an appropriate external battery charger for your type of battery so that you can charge it outside of the camera and once charged this way try it in the camera and see how long it lasts.

As an example only this is what I am referring to. http://au.top-battery-adapter.com/OLYMPU...

elijah will be eternally grateful.